Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Green Weenie Tactics (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10316)

ccmmcc 04-10-2008 09:27 PM

Green Weenie Tactics

Just curious how guys are fishing the Green Weenie. Do you fish it without weight or do you add a little weight to get it deeper. Just curious as to how others fish this fly. I caught a couple of small rainbows on Middle Prong with one on Wednesday.

jeffnles1 04-10-2008 09:57 PM

Well, I tie my own and put a couple wraps of lead wire on the center of the hook shank. Not enough to really drag it to the bottom but enough that it sinks a little.

I've also tied them (and bought them) unweighted. The unweighted ones seem to do better for me in slower current with just a lazy sinking drift.

I pretty much just chuck them upstream and a little across and let them drift on by me. I've caught a lot of fish (trout, bluegill and bass) at the end of the drift as they flutter around in the current.

I think they look like some kind of inch worm or caterpiller to the fish so I try to imagine what one of those critters floating in the water would look like and fish it accordingly.

I love the weenies. It's a great and simple fly both to tie and to fish.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Waterborn 04-10-2008 10:29 PM

I tie mine with a black bead head - just enough wieght to break the surface and to sweep around in the current somewhat "untethered" as if you through a natural into the water if I'm doing a regular downstream drift...for specs, a fun thing to do is to high stick em and if you suspend them close to the surface (just like a natural might be doing hanging down over some branch over the water) on a slack eddy where you see a fish just finning about, often they will make a go of it above the water...believe it or not, it works and another method can be slapping that bug near the edges of the water - I think later in the season the fish key in on the commotion, because I've plopped a weenie on top of fish and they've jumped on it or made way to it...
its fun trying things out of the "norm" when fishing terrestrials - you'd be supprised what you can get away with....

Rog 1 04-11-2008 08:44 AM

I like you idea about commotion...I have entice many a hit in a piece of "quiet" water just by jiggling the end of my rod to send a little quiver to my dry fly....that little bit of action will sometimes change their mind.

Flying Trout 04-11-2008 08:55 AM

Just curious, has anyone tied this pattern in any other colors other than pink and green. If so how was the success. I believe I saw Troutman had one with some legs.

jeffnles1 04-11-2008 12:09 PM

I'm considering tying some with black and tan body and some bery sparse grizzly hackle. That will resemble the summer caterpillers around here where the green weenies look more like the springtime inch worms. (I live in Northern Kentucky).

When I get around to it, I may post the "black and tan furry weenie" pictures.

Jeff

Waterborn 04-11-2008 01:33 PM

If I'm not mistaken, LRO sells one in pink called the Barbie bug - never tried one, but I hear they work well...as far as other colors, the green works so well that i've not tried any other but the inch worms in the park come in various shades of green, brown/tan, to almost a pale yellow... and then if you wan't to mimic any stick bait, or uncased caddis worms etc, i supposed one could uses the same pattern to suit...