Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Memorial Day Weekend Preasure (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10512)

Mac 05-13-2008 12:20 PM

Memorial Day Weekend Preasure

Everyone is aware that Memorial Day Weekend will not be known for the best time to try and flyfish the Park, but this is the weekend that my wife has given me a day to play. Even with the additional park preasure does anyone have any recommendation on a good Park stream.

I would like to spend a good long day trip from daylight to dark. I am looking for a stream that I could hike from 2 to 4 miles up and leave as many people as possible. Brook trout and Pools are aways a plus but not required. I think that I do enjoy the headwaters more than the tailwater sections. Getting away and up in the mountain streams has always been my favorite locations.

buzzmcmanus 05-13-2008 01:21 PM

Anytime you hike an hour away from the crowds, you'll be getting away from most of the pressure. Try Lynn Camp Prong or above Elkmont.
Check out the "hiking suggestions" thread

PeteCz 05-13-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac (Post 52465)
I am looking for a stream that I could hike from 2 to 4 miles up and leave as many people as possible.

1. Noland Creek
2. Forney Creek
3. Deep Creek
4. Cosby Creek
5. Little River above Elkmont
6. Lynn Camp

I would normally rate Deep Creek at the top of the list, but the Deep Creek CG will probably be crowded. Once you clear the CG you should be able to hike for awhile into some great water, but the beginning of the hike may be crowded. Same story with LR around Elkmont. Once you get aways up into the trail, you should be OK. Lynn Camp is very nice, but beacuse it is so close there may be lots of folks out walking the first 2 miles, after that you should be fine.

Noland and Forney are remote enough, without any major campgrounds that you may be able to avoid most folks...

Kytroutbum 05-13-2008 09:53 PM

I actually had one of my best days in the park on a "JULY 4TH IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY". My problem is NOT crowded streams but getting to them. Walk up aways, fish the sections of streams where the trails pull away. Most holiday fishermen just fish the "easy to get to " sections or close to the trailheads. The previous posts give great advice as far as streams, I'd add walking into the stream between Sugarlands and the Chimneys' picnic area or the Greenbrair sections.

adirondack46r 05-13-2008 10:38 PM

I think we overthink the holiday weekends sometimes. I went fishing Memorial day last year and found the pressure no greater than any other late spring weekend -even possibly a little lighter. I think we all think that it will be slammed and so we stay home and I'm thinking we're thinking too much. Just get out and fish!

ijsouth 05-13-2008 10:56 PM

My main thing is to avoid traffic if possible, and also the steeper prices hotels charge on holidays. I even avoid the "touristy" areas down here on holiday weekends....I'm kind of glad that I don't get Memorial Day off.

PeteCz 05-14-2008 08:06 AM

Pressure will be terrible...

OK guys remember, the fishing will be terrible....and the crowds will be very large...stay away...not worth making the trip...no fish to be found....;););)

Woody 05-15-2008 12:53 PM

Hey 46er

Hey 46er, Are you really a 46er. If so congrats. Your a member of a very special club. I was in Lake Placid this spring tearing down Whiteface for 4 days. I understand now why they call it "Iceface". But while there I saw this very inviting trout stream the Ausable. Have you fished it, is it as good as it looks or the local claim it to be. I heard on local say it's th ebest keep secret in the north east. Im planning on heading up there this summer with fly rod in hand

adirondack46r 05-15-2008 01:41 PM

Adirondack flyfishing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woody (Post 52560)
Hey 46er, Are you really a 46er. If so congrats. Your a member of a very special club. I was in Lake Placid this spring tearing down Whiteface for 4 days. I understand now why they call it "Iceface". But while there I saw this very inviting trout stream the Ausable. Have you fished it, is it as good as it looks or the local claim it to be. I heard on local say it's th ebest keep secret in the north east. Im planning on heading up there this summer with fly rod in hand

Thanks, Woody. I'm really a 46er. It was an awesome experience. I have a lot of fond memories of those climbs in the 'dacks. The Ausable is an excellent stream and I have done pretty well there the few times that I fished it, but there is a better kept secret that I would highly recommend if you are going to be up there for awhile. There are many fine streams in the Adirondacks but there are a couple that I really miss. There is alot of fly fishing history there as well, with Fran Betters (owner of Adirondack Sport Shop) who originated the AuSable Wulff, the Haystack series, and the Usual.

Drop me an email (adirondack46r@yahoo.com) and I will suggest a place that you should consider.