Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fishing Classic Rods and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Favorite Bamboo Rods? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10653)

jwebb541 06-01-2008 11:48 PM

Favorite Bamboo Rods?

I grew up fly fishing Smokies' streams and have always fished with graphite rods and fish with a helios now. However, I am beginning to realize I am somewhat of a purist. It's not really a bad thing, just somewhere along the lines it happened maybe just to much Gierach. So I have been lurking in Ebay and around the net at some bamboo fly rods and kinda drooling over them. I am eventually going to take the plunge but I just want to hear some ideas on what you guys think are some good rods. I would rather have one from a respected maker and am considering either buying a new one or turning back the clock and putting together an older reel, hardy bros. or something like that, and an older rod and would be interested to hear any suggestions or favorites. Thanks for any responses.

Varmitcounty 06-02-2008 07:43 AM

Bamboo is the way to go in my book. As for as what to buy...well...that depends on what feels comfortable to you. You can find bamboo rods that will flex all the way down into the handle or have the action of a medium fast graphite. I would suggest trying a few out before you make a hard and fast purchase. There are tons of boo's on ebay but if you are not careful you can wind up with either a rod that has problems or a rod that fishes like a broom handle. A warning...the boo bug will change the way you fish forever...at least it did for me.

Marc

gmreeves 06-02-2008 10:11 AM

If you can, go to a bamboo rod makers gathering and cast all that you can. There are a lot of different rods out there, all with there own personality. For the smokies, I would go with a shorter rod 7' or less and something that will roll cast as well as throw tight loops. I started building rods about a year ago and don't have a lot of experience but I built a 7' 4wt that is an amazing small stream rod. I think most builders, big and small, would be willing to work with you on what ever you wanted and would be willing to let you cast some there rods before purchasing. Harry Boyd is a good maker from Louisiana and I beleive he will send you a rod or two to cast to try them out. If you want to look into bamboo more, visit http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/. You will find more than you wanted to know. Oh yeah, and once you catch a fish on bamboo, you will be the one hooked.

Grumpy 06-03-2008 07:47 AM

A few rod i've enjoyed fishing are Edwards Quad, Paul Young Perfectionist & a Southbend 290. There's one Garrison, can't remember the taper now:confused: & i know where a brand new Winston is, it's a lil to rich for my blood though:frown:

Grumpy

Waterborn 06-03-2008 11:03 AM

I had a 'boo rod...some no name stick that fit the bill for my mountain fishing pursuits....funny thing is I gave it to some guy to refinish many moons ago - and haven't seen it since!
I'm just messn' with ya Marc ;) Give me a shout - we gotta do some fitchin'...

Tentwing 06-10-2008 03:33 PM

Well all of this is just my opinion, but here it goes;)

The #2 ferrule Heddons are hard to go wrong with. They make a good all around trout rod , and most models can still be found for a very reasonable price. The #35 models and the # 50 models can be a little pricey , but still less $$ than high end graphite. :eek: Plus if they are taken care of I'm sure your grand children will enjoy them one day:biggrin: A # 2 ferrule 8 & 1/2 foot 3 piece Heddon is my favorite 5 weight bamboo taper. i have one in a model # 50 , and it's my " always take it with me rod ":smile:

The # 2 & 1/2 ferrule Heddons are great too. i personally think they get a bum wrap as being to heavy of a line weight. , but thats OK it just keeps the price of them down for folks like me:biggrin: I throw a 6 weight with most of mine. You can throw a weighted Booger 70 feet in a light wind, or you can lay down a #18 Parachute Adams off the end of a 12 foot leader.:smile:

Also you might wanna look into the Wright McGill era Grangers. The Specials and the Aristocrats are still reasonable $$ wise, and are among my favorite rods.

Both Heddon and Granger cranked out some high end production rods, and are classic Boos. These are a good way to get your feet wet without dropping Big $$ on a contemporary maker, or winding up with lower end heavy, rough casting older classic rod.

After you have gotten your foot in the door and decide whether or not cane is for you then your future can go as far as your wallet can take you;) They are lots of contemporary makers out there making very high quality rods.

Like I stated from the beginning It is just my opinion, but I think think that going with one of the higher end production rod makers from the neo-classic , or the post-classic era is the best way to get your feet wet in the Boo game:smile:

..................Tentwing

Varmitcounty 06-11-2008 08:03 AM

I am holding Waterborns rod ransom...the only way he can get it is by picking it up in the High Country of North Carolina in a couple of months.

Trust me...anything Tentwing tells you is going to be spot on. He is my bamboo mentor (which is kinda scary), and will not steer you wrong. If a man is as good as his word...he's a good 'un!

Tentwing 06-11-2008 11:45 AM

Gee ,... Thank ya there Varmit That was nice of you to say........Ya know, :rolleyes: .. I think your nose might be getting longer ;) :biggrin: Hmmmmm...... Uh, Oh,.. any way that was really nice of ya :smile:

Thanks ,.........Tentwing

jwebb541 06-11-2008 05:45 PM

Thanks for the tips!!

milligan trout degree 06-13-2008 10:31 PM

I drool over hardy bamboo rods. I have a classic hardy reel my granddad gave to me, would love to have about a three weight hardy boo to match it.