Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fisheries Management & Biology (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Wild Brook vs Stocked Brook (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10659)

Brook Fan 06-02-2008 07:34 PM

Wild Brook vs Stocked Brook

I was wondering the wild Brook trout in GSMNP are green with an orangish belly and red, yellow, and blue spots, while the stockers in the Clinch are Brown or Black with Yellow dots and maybe a hint of blue.

Will the stockers in the Clinch ever turn green or will they stay dark?
Also are these 2 fish the same strand of Brook Trout?

MBB 06-02-2008 08:15 PM

The colors of trout typically vary watershed to watershed. It is my understanding, that the brook trout stocked in the Clinch are Northern strain brook trout and the brook trout in the Park are Southern strain or mixed strain.

Brook Fan 06-03-2008 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info
I always wondered why the difference.

Speckleman5 06-04-2008 10:04 PM

yup

Very True, Depending on which watershed you are in in the park the colors are very very different.

Stonefly 06-05-2008 05:53 PM

The brookies I've caught in NC look nothing like the wild fish in the park. I'm looking at a photo on my wall, honestly looks more like a char* than a brookie. Brown body with yellow spots. Decent sized delayed harvest fish.

* which of course it is.

sb

MBB 06-17-2008 04:13 PM

The brook trout stocked by North Carolina are all Northern Strain. Of North Carolina's wild brook trout, approximately a third or so are all southern strain, about 10-15 percent or so are all Northern Strain, and the rest are mixed strain with varying degrees of Southern strain and Northern Strain (i.e. the brook trout in one stream may have 80% Southern Strain genetics and 20% Northern Strain genetics or vice versa or any combination thereof). Interestingly, most of the Southern Strain streams in NC are Gulf of Mexico drainages. There are only a few streams in NC that flow into the Atlantic that are pure Southern Strain.

It is my understanding that Tennessee has a much higher percentage of streams that are pure Southern Strain, though NC probably has much more brook trout water.

tennswede 06-17-2008 04:27 PM

Char

Not to be nitpicky but Brookie is a char. It is part of the char family Salvelinus.

gmreeves 06-17-2008 04:35 PM

Regardless of the strain, a freshly stocked brookie is always going to be less colorful than a wild one. It is just like any other fish. All of the stocked brookies I have caught have been fairly ugly in my opinion and didn't enjoy seeing them that way, even if they were bigger than the ones usually caught in small wild streams. I have caught some that looked to be holdovers and like the other trout, they tend to look more natural but still noticeably different.

waterwolf 06-25-2008 08:30 PM

It also depends on time of year when you catch them. Brookies seem to display much brighter colors during spawning then the other trout in this area.

I will say the Clinch brookies are pathetic looking, and thin like eels. I guess you can't turn down free fish, but it just seems like a waste when there is plenty of room to manage the rainbows and browns.

The prettiest brookies I have caught in the Mtns were in two places, Alum Cave Creek, and over in Cherokee National Forest. I caught some years ago in Alum Cave Creek in October that would absolutely knock your socks off with their colors.

Brook Fan 06-25-2008 09:09 PM

Cherokee National Forest Brookie

waterwolf

I have been thinking about a trip to the Cherokee Natinal Forest on the East Tennessee side (upper Paint Creek). Would you be able to provide any information? Or any other areas near Greene County