Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fishing Classic Rods and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   How I'm spending my incentive. (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10678)

danp413 06-04-2008 08:21 PM

How I'm spending my incentive.

I bought a Heddon rod yesterday, and this will be my first experience with a bamboo rod. I have already received some great advice from Stan Smartt, but would like to hear more suggestions. Stan told me it was a 7wt rod. The info on it is "#20 - 9 - 2 1/2 F - HCH or D". Stan recommended an older reel, since the newer reels are so light.He recommended a Medalist. Is there any specific Medalist that I should go for? I saw some Heddon reels on Ebay, are they as good as the Pfluegers? What type of line should I go with? Also, what waxes do you all like for protecting your rods?

This is a three piece 9' rod, and yes it has two tips. Do you all use the same tip until it needs to be repaired, or do you alternate between the tips?

I look forward fishing this beauty. Stan has been after me for a couple of years to get into bamboo, and he helped me big time with this rod. He helped me pick out the last two rods I purchased. The first one was a graphite, but I was replacing my first fly rod that I had broken. Now he's got me into boo.

Please give this newbie some advice on what to do with my new rod. I definitely intend to fish with it.

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Grumpy 06-05-2008 07:42 AM

Congrat's on the new rod, you may get by throwing a 6 weight line on it being today's lines weigh more than they did "back then".
I like to rotate between tips, really no need to though.
The old Medalist are heavy which will help, so is a Hardy Bougle(expensive), then again, i think the mid Arbor Orvis Battenkill is heavy, of course it dosen't have a classic look though.

Grumpy

danp413 06-05-2008 11:08 PM

Thanks Grumpy. I've got an Orvis CFO with 6wt WF line on it so I will try casting it to see if I like that weight or if I want to go up.

I just won two Pflueger Trump reels on Ebay. I hope those are as good as the Medalists. I like the looks of them. I wanted to get either two different reels, or a reel with an extra spool, so I can have two different lines to fish with on the rod. I will head to LRO to try different weight lines on the rod, then get line put on the reels.

Troutman 06-06-2008 11:05 AM

I bought my first boo rod last year. Haven't fished it but a handful of times. I tried the Cortland Sylk line on it but did not like the small diameter. I settled on the old standard Cortland 444 DT6 peach line. It cast well with the boo and glass rods.

danp413 06-07-2008 11:12 PM

I tried my 6wt on the rod. As a 9' the line is too light, as is the reel, but I expected that. As a 7', the reel almost balances right, but the line felt just right. (Stan made a handle that allows me to use the mid section and tip, and not the butt section. This is how it can be either a 9' or 7'.)

I've only tried WF line, what are the advantages to DT? How different is it to cast?

Another thing that still surprises me is how heavy it is. At 7' it weighs a little more than my 8'6" graphite, but that butt section is heavy. I will have to workout some before I spend a day fishing with it.

czkid 06-29-2008 07:52 PM

Stan knows what he's telling you... the rod is a 7wt... period. Probably a 7WF 444 Cortland would work just fine. The reel you want is either a Pflueger 1495 or a 1498. You need a heavier reel to counterbalance the rod. With the reel mounted on the rod (full of line of course) the point of balance on the rod should be within 2 inches of the tip of the grip.