Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Last day of the fish out. (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10754)

Fly_Man_Bill 06-15-2008 05:00 PM

Last day of the fish out.

Saturday I fished Lynn Camp and done really well. I caught fish on a small Yellow Plamer (size 14) and a Pheasant Tail Nymph (size 12). The guy who was checking my fish said they were disappionted that more people would have taken advantage of the fish out. I also asked, If we were hurting the fish population on this creek. He told me "No, and the creek held alot of fish."
The fish in this creek are quick and hard to caught. I usally fish Little River with big flies (size 4 to 6). So, at the start of the day I had a hard time with my hook set. After a little while I finally got in the groove and started catching fish. I caught a few fish in the 9 to 10 3/4 inch range. The rest of the fish were between 4 to 8 inch range.
Other than falling and breaking my TFO rod I had a good day fishing. I only seen one other person fishing. I guess the weather and the chance of rain kept some people at home.
My God Bless you and have a great day fishing...

Bill

ijsouth 06-15-2008 10:50 PM

It's interesting....I lurk on another fly fishing board, and that one has a "don't ask, don't tell" policy concerning stream names and locations, the theory being the streams get hammered enough, and additional pressure is to be avoided. Here, we have a well-known stream, and a special period of unlimited creel amounts, and the participation was below what was expected....I'll leave it to the individual to draw his own conclusions.

Fly_Man_Bill 06-15-2008 11:43 PM

ijsouth
I see you post Cosby as one of your locations. I'm from Cosby myself. I get to fish Cosby Creek quite a lot. Do you take advantage of this stream? Also, do you fish any of the streams on North Carolina side of the Park? I spend most of my time on Little River fishing for Browns.
I wished the fish out would have been longer so more people could have fished. I took some of the fish I caught the other day to my grand father. He is 96 years old and not able to fly fish any more, so I try to take him some fish every year. He tells me stories about Cosby Creek and the brook trout that he fished for as a kid. Back then the park did not exist and peolpe would take alot of fish. I told him about the park working on Lynn Camp to make it a Brook stream. He was glad to here that imformation. He told me about people who had caught Brookies 13 to 14 inches out of Cosby Creek. He said it was common for people to have 3 or 4 that size at one time. Back then peolpe fished for food not for fun. He said over fishing really hurt the Cosby. He said poor people had to eat and it was a way of life. It was just way things were back then. My grand father also said they would catch brooks down low,( where the bridge and store are below the park). He is one of those cane pole fisherman who can fish. He said that Indian Camp was the best stream back then it held alot of good fish. He hopes that the park will manage Lynn Camp so that one day I can enjoy catching a big "Spec" like he did when he was a kid. Just sharing some info about Cosby Creek and fishing history.

May God Bless You and have a Happy Fathers Day...

Bill

bugg 06-15-2008 11:58 PM

ljsouth,

I also look around on that site. Kinda questionable sometimes... They don't want you to tell stream names, get mad when you say you kept some fish, talk down about spinner and bait fishermen, and are just sometimes kinda snooty.

Don't get me wrong, some of the people have good things to say and I've even met some of the guys that are pretty cool. I just wish people would quit arguing about silly issues and concentrate on conserving the resources together, not separately. Its not hard to read a map, get a book, or drive around and find a stream, so who cares if you tell where you were or give someone an idea for a place to go. I don't usually ask where to go, but I see a lot of posts on this site by people looking for help and it is usually answered with good advice. If its legal to keep some fish, we shouldn't have a problem with that (as long as regulations are followed of course). Biologists will tell you that keeping fish doesn't negatively effect a fishery, so don''t freak out when someone wants a fresh dinner.

I enjoy reading posts on this site and hope everyone continues to share information so that more people will be aware of important issues and not focus on pointless differences in opinions.

PeteCz 06-16-2008 01:04 AM

I spent all morning with one of the fishery guys on this week at the check-in station on Lynn Camp. One of the interesting ideas right now is that the streams are at or over their carrying limit and that if more folks would take a fish or two with them, it would be beneficial to the remaining population.

Obviously some of the smaller stream can handle only so much pressure and sometimes I worry that maybe we shouldn't be so specific about where we are fishing, but like Bugg said, its hardly private information. As long as the vast majority of us act as good stewards for our resources, we should continue to see improvements, over time.

We will never get back to where we were at the turn of the last century, but that doesn't mean we can't continue to try to improve what we have now...

ijsouth 06-16-2008 02:07 AM

Flyman:

While I can't claim residency (yet), I do own land in Cosby...just an acre, but within walking distance to the park. Cosby is the closest to a "home stream" that I can claim - I always fish it at least once in our trips up there...I love it. Earlier this spring, we caught some brookies well below the campground area - in fact, it was halfway down to the boundary, so that is encouraging. We also fish the N.C. side quite a bit...we usually hit Straight Fork on our travels.

I've read a lot about Indian Camp....I would love to try it, but it will probably have to wait until I'm up there by myself...perhaps this Thanksgiving when I'll be up there solo.

bugg:

No doubt you saw that one thread that went on and on about keeping fish. I saw a lot of chest-thumping about releasing 10 inch brook trout; of course, the irony is, a brookie that size has probably maxed out, and is on borrowed time. Most of these fish don't live past 3 years. I release most of my fish, but there certainly isn't anything wrong with keeping a few, as long as they're legal.

Pete:

Yep...that's probably exactly right - we would probably do the fish a favor by keeping a few once in a while. And, that's exactly my point...when we're talking about well-known streams, we aren't exactly releasing classified information. I don't mind talking about Cosby because, frankly, few people fish it - it is a bit out of the way. I do agree that, with certain streams in certain locations, there is a concern about over-exposure. Actually, I've heard such concerns voiced about the future Lynn Camp; there might be greatly increased pressure, because it will be such a convienient brookie stream. That may be true, but I'm not too worried....just because the fish are there doesn't mean they're all going to be caught...there's quite a learning curve to beat when fishing these streams, and most casual visitors aren't going to put in the time it takes to learn these waters.

Byron Begley 06-16-2008 12:23 PM

Hi guys,

We removed the private message option a few months ago for two reasons.

First, some members were getting PM's that pressured them to give less information. We didn't feel good about that.

Second, a member threatened me with slander and buisness lible. Of course he was removed.

This board has three words that set the tone for all of us. Information, friendship and fly fishing. And this is a friendly board with a lot of good information thanks to guys like you.

Thanks,

Byron

Redfish62 06-16-2008 12:52 PM

Thanks,

Thanks Byron,

For running such a good and freindly message board. And your involvment, and care for the community as a hole.

Regards,
Redfish62.

flyman 06-16-2008 07:59 PM

This thread has taken a turn that I find very interesting :smile:. Please, feel free to email me any secret streams you have been dying to expose:biggrin: I think it's up to the individual how much information is given. Just like many other things in life. Some things I'm willing to publicly talk about, and some I'd rather not. I grew up fishing the NC side of the park. When I was growing up good fishing and hunting spots were not talked about publicly outside of a close circle of friends and family. Heck, even family got left out some times;)

ijsouth 06-17-2008 10:24 AM

I don't have any problem with someone who wants to avoid discussing specifics - there are a few streams (mostly outside the park) that probably couldn't stand a lot of pressure. However, it gets a bit ridiculous when it gets to the point of well-known, well-documented streams. That other site I was referring to has a lot of that - it's more of a game than anything else - everyone knows which stream it is, etc. I'm glad there's none of that nonsense here. Also, I think most of the people on this board respect the resource and would not abuse the streams.

Also, most of the streams that are sensitive (and usually on the small side) are not that easy to get to...that weeds out a lot of potential traffic right there.