Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   8 year old's progress (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11085)

caught 108 08-10-2008 04:41 PM

8 year old's progress

Over the last few years my 8 yr.old son has caught bluegill and bass on his zebco and a floater by himself.We done the I hook hand him the pole thing some last year.Now he is trying to catch a trout on a fly and fly rod by himself.If I had'nt messed up my knee I think he would have done it this weekend.Yesterday he picked his own fly fished a easy strip I followed and pointed 10 holes 4 misses 4 diff.holes had 1 trout 5" or so out of the water but it got off got hung up 3 times all were reachable.This mourning same fly fished another easy strip 12 holes 3 misses 3 diff.holes caught 2 chubs [or whatever they are]4" or so had 1 trout 8" or so out of the water got off also hung up 2 times again both were reachable has'nt lost a fly.Told me when he caught a trout I had to stop calling him the 8yr.old when this knee gets better and we can get to some descent water Im positive he will. Good Luck to all. caught 108

Flyfishjeep 08-10-2008 07:38 PM

He is off to a good start, Congratulations on being a good teacher!

caught 108 08-10-2008 10:31 PM

Flyfishjeep Thanks A Bunch.I'm not sure who is more excited Him or Me. Sincerly caught 108

cardfly 08-21-2008 01:01 PM

Well done Caught 108,

I think teaching our kids is one of the best things we can do. I am always more excited when they catch fish. Having just started fly fishing about a year ago I have taught my 7 and 3 year olds to say that they are "second generation" fly fisherman. I get a kick out of that.

Keep up the good work.

caught 108 08-21-2008 10:26 PM

Thanks Cardfly

We have'nt got to go for a while now,Been a long dry spell.We have'nt had no rain and were trying to get moved in to new home.So those Trout better be careful because he is chomping at the bits. Good luck to all and your kid's too.

Brian Griffing 08-22-2008 10:41 AM

This is for Caught108 and anyone else out there who has small children fishing with them on the streams:
First off, good job getting your kids into the sport. It is important to spend time with your kids (instead of typing on the computer, haha), and I believe flyfishing conveys a lot of good lessons that have applications in daily life.
Anyway, my father started my brother and I fishing when we were too young to cross a shin deep stream without falling down half a dozen times. I didn't like going fishing with him, but I did because even at that age I felt it was my responsibility as the oldest. My brother was easily frustrated and was actually in the middle of a 5 year-old temper tantrum, when he caught his first fish, an 18 inch westslope cutthroat. That quickly ended his tantrum, by the way. Fortunately, we both came around and fell in love with flyfishing by the time we were 8 or 9, but after some rocky beginnings.
I now have four kids, age 5 and under. The two oldest are 5 and 3. I have taken them with me a few times fishing and they like following me for about 1/2 hour, before they are bored and want to leave or throw rocks. And most of the half hour is spent making sure they don't fall off the rocks or wander into my backcast. They like going for walks with me, scouting for deer, etc, and they are definitely developing an interest in the great outdoors.
So mt question is this: How young is too young? I want to foster an early appreciation and love for flysfishing in these kids and eventually raise at least a few fishing partners out of my three boys and daughter. But I don't want to risk souring them on the sport by starting them too early. Also, what is the appropriate age for a first fly rod? I can't remember how old I was when I first cast a fly rod, but I do remember smacking the tip of the rod into the rocks behind me when I started.
I've been mulling these things over for several months now. I came close to getting my daughter a small rig for her 5th birthday this summer, but eventually decided against it, thinking she was still a little too young for a fly rod.
Any and all help / suggestions / insights are appreciated.

PeteCz 08-22-2008 11:31 AM

Kudos to anyone who tries to teach kids to Flyfish

First off, Great job Brian and Caught108.

I have two teenage boys (18 and 16), and unfortunately I have not been able to completely get them addicted to flyfishing (yet). There are so many other distractions that provide easier and more instant mastery that some kids just never will get interested in the concept of flyfishing, on its own. To me, the more important effort is to get them out of the house and into nature first and then concentrate on fishing and eventually flyfishing. Luckily, after spending way too much time travelling to play hockey between the ages of 8 and 16, with two years of effort I have been able to get my oldest son very interested in nature. In fact, next week we are going to SW Colorado to Backpack and fish for 10 days in the South San Juan Wilderness. My younger son unfortunately, is still not into it (yet), hopefully that will change.

More than age, I believe that your relationship with your kids will dictate if they will give flyfishing a real shot. Some kids want to emulate their parents and really want to do everything they can to impress them (these will be the easiest to get started), while others are more rebellious and want to be more contrarian.

If they want to emulate you, I think you could start in the 6-8 year old range (as you Brian have pointed out is when you started and then fell in love with it once you start seeing some tangible results). It will be important for them to catch fish because if its too hard, they will lose interest. Pond fishing for bluegill is a great way to start learning and getting kids excited.

The outdoor experience is important too. Camping and hiking can be a great way to get them interested in the outdoors. You have to make it fun and you can't make it too strenuous, after all you don't want them to dread being outdoors. One thing my boys really liked doing in the park was looking for salamanders and lizards (and snakes!!). You can incorporate all sorts of things into trips to the stream. And of course, being a responsible steward of our resources. Picking up trash that someone else dropped can have a profound impact on a youngster.

Here is a book that I purchased a few year back to provide some insight on teaching kids to flyfish, it might provide some useful insights, as well:
http://www.amazon.com/First-Cast-Tea.../dp/0811727610

Keep up the good work and don't lose faith. You'll need lots of patience, but watching your child catch fish is alot more fun than catching them yourself! Make sure you get a picture of them when they catch their first fish. If you can, save the fly that they used, it makes for a great piece of family history to have the fly that they used to catch their first fish with...

caught 108 08-22-2008 05:16 PM

Thanks Brian and Pete

Brian,Thats a hard question,I myself can't remember not fishing.I do remember learning to fly fish.I took my first deer when I was 10 had been learning to fly fish and deer hunt for 2 or 3 years.They have always been my biggest 2 addictions I'm not done learning and hope I never have to stop practicing.For a fly rod I would quess [only quess] 7-10.Going to buy my 8 year old one for Christmas or Birthday in March.If they are responsible and interested enough I say the sooner the better.Good Luck to everyone and your kid's too. Sincerly Caught 108