Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Members Board (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   NC New Guy (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11105)

rgp759 08-13-2008 06:24 PM

NC New Guy

Greetings to all:

Just figured I would introduce myself to the board; I'm Bob, from Wilmington, NC. I am a transplanted Yankee that grew up in the Allegheny Mountains in NW PA. Until I moved down here, I didn't realize how lucky I was to live within walking distance or at most a short drive of many prime trout streams. You take it for granted when there is a native brook trout stream flowing through the back pasture. Now all I get is a few weekends a year at most to fish the kind of water I grew up on.

My girlfriend and I are making a trip to the Townsend area the last week of August to visit the park, and as I have told her, I'm going fishing. So if anyone has some suggestions as to the best places to check out, please let me know. Also, I'm in the process of tying up some flies to bring along, so I would appreciate knowing what patterns are working the best now, and what sizes. I've already told her that we will be stopping at LRO, and she's threatened to take my credit card away from me before we go in the store. She says I can look and drool, but that's it. Maybe that's because of her reaction when she saw the bill when I bought an 8'6" 4wt SC Legend Ultra last summer before our vacation.

I am looking forward to being a part of this board.

ALflygirl 08-13-2008 06:55 PM

Welcome! Soooo...do you still have access to the "native brook trout stream flowing through the back pasture"? :biggrin:

PeteCz 08-13-2008 06:56 PM

Welcome Bob!

There are lots of different options and the best places may change based on whether or not we get some much needed rain.

A few questions for you:
- Are you looking to camp, hike or drive-up to the location to fishing locations?
- Do you want to stay on the NC side or are you open to any of the park (or surrounding areas)?
- If you are willing to hike, how far would you be willing to travel to fish?
- How long will you be here?

With those answers we can give you a few ideas.

As far as flies are concerned, for the most part presentation and stealth are more important than exact patterns. If you want some good general suggestions, open up the LRO Fishing Report and on the left hand side of the page there is a link for "Suggested Flies". There are some good suggestions that will work fine.

rgp759 08-13-2008 07:09 PM

Pete,

We will be staying on the TN side, about 5 miles from the Townsend entrance to the park.

As we have rented a cabin, I would prefer to hike or drive to the streams. I don't think we will have time to do a back country trip this year. Our current schedule is that we get out there on Saturday, August 23rd, and will be there until the following Sunday, so I will have most of the week to fish.

As far as hinking distance to the streams, anything that can be done easily in one day is open as far as I am concerned.

I've already tied most of the patterns in the sizes that LRO has on their suggested list, as well as a few more.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

rgp759 08-13-2008 07:12 PM

AlFlyGirl,

Yes, the family still has access to that stream, along with another prime trout stream on my uncle's property. Just have to watch out for the horses.

ALflygirl 08-13-2008 08:01 PM

I think we could make our way around the horses! I just thought I would beat the rest of these guys to the punch by asking you that question! :biggrin:

Again...welcome to the board! You're gonna enjoy this crowd!

bigpopper 08-13-2008 09:12 PM

Welcome to the Board

Welcome to the board! Lots of great people and info here. Its a great place to learn new stuff and to share what you know with others. I just moved to Tn a little over 7 years ago from Wilmington. I get back at least once a year, got friends there. I did alot of surf,ICW, Bay/Channer fishing when I lived there and went to UNCW in between fishing time ...lol .. . Didn't get into fly fishing till I moved here. It's addictive, i'm hitting the gulf next month with the fly rod. Good fishing to ya! :biggrin:
Mark <::><

BlueRaiderFan 08-14-2008 11:27 PM

NC,

IMO,

if you want to fish AND enjoy the scenery, you can't beat above Elkmont or Treemont if you are coming from Townsend. They are easily accessible and you can fish all day and see just a few people if you go in about a mile or so.

PeteCz 08-15-2008 09:41 AM

Three Options

RGP,

1) Hike at least 2 miles up the Little River trail above Elkmont. Use a Dry/Dropper setup with a BHPT as the dropper and you should have good success. You have to be very, very stealthy. The farther up the trail you hike the better you will do. It will be hard to pass up all of the water along the way...but you will be better off if you do. There is alot of water up that way and could you fish a couple of days there, if you wanted. To get there the road through Wears Valley is a bit shorter to Elkmont (it should take about 20 mins) than driving along the LR from the "Y"...

2) Drive towards Newfound Gap. The West Prong of the Little Pigeon (WPLP) follows the road, but mostly out of sight. There are several "Quiet Walkways" along the stretch of US441 from Gatlinburg to Newfound Gap. Stop at anyone of them and the walkway will take you down to the river (usually less than 1/4 mile hike). Lots of good fishing on the WPLP, but the water has been down lately compared to the LR, so if we don't get anymore rain, you should probably stick to the LR...

3) Drive to the end of the Middle Prong Rd (aka Tremont) and hike up Lynn Camp Prong (Middle Prong Trail) at least 15-20 minutes. Again, the farther you hike, the better the fishing..

Have fun and make sure you post pictures and a report.