Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Photography (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   New online fly fishing magazine (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11236)

ALflygirl 09-03-2008 10:04 PM

New online fly fishing magazine

Check out http://www.catchmagazine.net/
It's a new online magazine dedicated to fly fishing photography and video....some pretty amazing stuff here! I think ya'll will like it!

Fishermansfly 09-04-2008 01:55 AM

Thank you Rachel, this in my opinion is better than ThisIsFly.com!!! Beat's it hands down! Those pictures of the bow sippin are incredible! Great link!

~Brett

ChemEAngler 09-04-2008 05:42 PM

I checked this out last night, and I was blown away. Amazing photos and videos.

Travis

UofMontanaAlum 09-05-2008 06:05 PM

EHHH. Its ok. Anyone can post pictures on the web. They bought a fancy piece of flash software that lets them post it as a "magazine". I prefer some "reading" to go along with my e-magazines. ThisIsFly is better in my opinion.

nvr2L8 09-05-2008 09:55 PM

Rachel,

Very nice. Some pretty amazing photography. I like reading as well but I sure do appreciate beautiful pictures like these. Thanks for sharing.

Plunker 09-05-2008 11:04 PM

Eye Candy for sure....

Quote:

Originally Posted by UofMontanaAlum (Post 57683)
EHHH. Its ok. Anyone can post pictures on the web. They bought a fancy piece of flash software that lets them post it as a "magazine". I prefer some "reading" to go along with my e-magazines. ThisIsFly is better in my opinion.

It is flashy stuff...but not as new as they would make it out to be...I swear I saw some shots in there that were used in FFA Magazine 3 or 4 years ago... got to admit the shots of the 'bows on the rise were off the hook (yeah ...pun intended).:p

I'm with you Grizz...I like my **** to have a good story line:biggrin:
By the way ...diggin those Fly Tying Tutorials

DrewDelashmit 09-06-2008 03:23 PM

You would be hard pressed to find a magazine, either traditional or on-line, that doesn't have at least one recycled photo.

I agree that I would like to see more content to go with the photos, which are fairly amazing - not surprising considering the people involved. I felt that This Is Fly was better early on, it seems to be trying a little too hard to attempt at being a surfing or skateboarding style magazine. It gives it a feel of trying too hard to be something that this sport really is not.

All in all, I enjoyed the first issue at least at first glance several days ago.

UofMontanaAlum 09-08-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrewDelashmit (Post 57718)
It gives it a feel of trying too hard to be something that this sport really is not.

As a 20 something, I completely disagree with you.

Why couldn't the sport go in that direction? Or atleast a subgroup of enthusiasts within the sport? Bringing young people into a sport is a great way to progress the sport and keep it alive. I applaud what ThisIsFly, AEG Media, LOOP Tackle and a few others are doing for our sport.

To me, fly fishing is an adrenilin rush. From the moment I put my waders on, to my first fish of the day and until the waders come off my heart is beating fast. These media groups are doing an excellent job of conveying that feeling to its viewers.

I don't feel that they are trying too hard, I think they are innovative.

Stonefly 09-08-2008 09:15 PM

Drake

Drew's comments remind me of the Drake magazine, and what I take as open hostility for us old guys. I don't buy that one any more.

sb

DrewDelashmit 09-09-2008 11:54 AM

UofMontanaAlum, don't get me wrong I couldn't agree more that young people are the key to the continuation of not only this sport, but the right to continue to fish. We need people continuing to enter this sport to provide numbers and activism so we have access rights and other rights that allow us to continue fishing. I was just trying to say that, in my opinion, This Is Fly just seems a little contrived. I still read it and enjoy some of it, I just felt the first couple of issues were better.

Steve, I in no way mean to be hostile to "old guys" and I am not sure how my comments were such. I apologize for giving you the wrong impression. Quite honestly, I feel the Drake is too often snobby and gives people the wrong impression of fly fisherman.