Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Members Board (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Almost A Novice (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11364)

mgedge 09-29-2008 01:04 PM

Almost A Novice

I made my 1st trip to the Smokies earlier this month and took a 1 day guided fly fishing trip. It was the 1st time I had cast a fly since I was about 12 out in the Rockies.

My brother in law (an accomplished fly fisherman) and I will be back in Townsend in mid-December. While we expect fishing to be slow, we'd love to get the "local experts" to suggest locations that would be the most likely. Neither of us have ever done a float trip, so that has some appeal.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you!

Paula Begley 09-29-2008 09:43 PM

Welcome, mgedge!

Paula

Gerry Romer 09-29-2008 09:58 PM

If you've read Byron's fishing report, then you know that floating anywhere in the mountains is even less likely in December. You could go over to the Tuck maybe but that's pretty much it for the winter. that's not to say that winter fishing is a bad thing... just don't think about floating in the park.

So you could wade fish the park and float any of a number of regional tailwaters. The Clinch, the Watauga, the Caney Fork...

mgedge 10-02-2008 11:33 AM

Thanks, Gerry. I guess I wasn't very specific about the notion of a float trip. While we will be staying in Townsend, our thoughts about a float trip would be on one of the tailwaters. I take it that you wouldn't necessarily suggest that the fishing in December would be better in either a tailwater location or in the rivers/streams in the park?

Gerry Romer 10-02-2008 01:07 PM

December fishing in the park can be pretty tough but very rewarding. Fishing any of the tailwaters in East TN can be excellent year 'round. Closest to Townsend - in order of distance - would be the Clinch, then the Hiwassee (not so good in the winter), then the Caney (one of my very best days there came at the end of November a couple years ago) or the Holston, then the Watauga, then the South Holston. I have yet to fish the Holston but I hear great things about it most of the year. The Watuaga and the South Holston are terrific year 'round fisheries. If you've got the time and the cold weather/water temperament, I'd plan at least a day or three on a couple of the area tailwaters. Personally, if I had to pick just one, it's probably be the Caney Fork.

Approximate travel times from Townsend:

Clinch River -- 1 hr 15 min.
Hiwassee River -- 1 hr 30 min.
Caney Fork River -- 1 hr 45 min.
Holston River -- 1 hr 45 min. (?)
Watauga River -- 2 hrs.
South Holston River -- 2 hrs. 15 min.

Gerry

bigpopper 10-02-2008 10:12 PM

Welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgedge (Post 58515)
I made my 1st trip to the Smokies earlier this month and took a 1 day guided fly fishing trip. It was the 1st time I had cast a fly since I was about 12 out in the Rockies.

My brother in law (an accomplished fly fisherman) and I will be back in Townsend in mid-December. While we expect fishing to be slow, we'd love to get the "local experts" to suggest locations that would be the most likely. Neither of us have ever done a float trip, so that has some appeal.

I look forward to learning a lot from all of you!

Welcome to the board mgedge! It's a great place to share what you know and learn new stuff! Great fishin to ya!:biggrin: