Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Members Board (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Just signed up - New to Park Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11400)

dryflyonly 10-05-2008 03:32 PM

Just signed up - New to Park Fishing

Hi,
We just moved to TN in June. I lived in Charlotte for 20 yrs and did my mountain stream fishing in north west North Carolina for many years.

I have just started to fish the park and fished above Elkmount today, and only 1 fish that was not landed. I fished about 1 mile above the parking at Elkmount. I only used dry fly's, 14 Adams and 14 royal wolf. The water level was not bad, and temp was about 54. All in all good conditions. I did not see any fish and was very careful to stay hidden and make the good cast and drift.

Question & Help - At this time of year how far above Elkmount do you need to go to get into some fish?

Do the fish tend to move up into higher elevations during the summer?

Any insight and advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

oody3wt 10-05-2008 09:23 PM

welcome to the board, if you ever want to fish around the park feel free to shoot me an email oody3wt@hotmail.com . always looking for a fishing buddy for those remote creeks.

Jon-

dryflyonly 10-06-2008 11:48 AM

Thanks Jon,

I think I am done fishing for awhile, lot's of other things to do. But I am going to get back on the streams and work things out.

Bill

David Knapp 10-06-2008 09:08 PM

Welcome to the board! There are lots of fish in that stretch of creek. If you weren't catching fish then its possible you were fishing behind someone else or maybe it was just an off day...the change in water temperature brought on by the cool nights lately will affect the fishing somewhat as the fish adjust to the new season. I fished up there a little over a week ago and was spooking fish from much farther than normal. When the water is this low you'll spook lots even if you are being very stealthy. Also I would suggest at this time of year that you try something with some orange in it or else small BWO patterns...

dryflyonly 10-08-2008 02:19 PM

Thanks Plateau Angler. I suspect that some of my problem was that I insisted on starting and staying with the dry fly's. I did not see a fish rise the entire time I was on the water. In North Carolina I fished very small streams compared to the water above Elkmont, and at least some fish would come to the dry fly no mater what the conditions were like. I just need to adjust to the fishing on this side of the mountains, and use a nymph more often.

Bill

PeteCz 10-08-2008 05:03 PM

Slow Day above Elkmont, as well

Bill, things have definitely slowed down. Don't get discouraged. Thats a great section of stream and under the right conditions can be very productive.

Like anywhere in the Park (and outside really), the farther in you hike, the better you'll do. I like to hike 2-3 miles (or more) if I have the time (and energy).

I fished Elkmont a few days before you and would echo what David has said...orange and/or small BWOs if you want to stick with dries...

bigpopper 10-10-2008 08:46 PM

Welcome

Welcome to the board dryflyonly! It's a great place to share what you know and learn new stuff! Great fishin to ya!:biggrin: