Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Paint Creek (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11433)

tennswede 10-10-2008 08:35 PM

Paint Creek

Anyone been to Paint Creek DH lately? if so what's your opinion?

ACinEastTN 10-13-2008 11:44 AM

Not Yet

I went quite a few times last year. The water level was pitiful. I assume it would be the same this year. The are ALOT of big fish stocked there, but with the road being fixed and drive & fish being the main strategy they have seen every lure and fly you can think of. It is difficult to remain stealthy with the water levels. I would recomend a weekday trip to avoid the many good ole boys that are there on the weekends. If you decide to go let me know. I want to make a trip again this year and that would get me motivated. I the creek does not fish good there are always great smallmoth opportunities where it empties into the French Broad.

tennswede 10-13-2008 01:00 PM

Thanks for your input. I kind of knew that it wouldn't be easy during low water. I stopped there back in the spring before we had any rain and it was very low. I was hoping the rain would be here this year. I'm probably not going to do Paint Creek this time unless we get more rain.

ACinEastTN 10-29-2008 09:15 AM

Tennswede

So against my own advice I tried Paint Creek Saturday. With the rain on Friday it actually had some water flow. This meant the trout had a chance to spread out some. Last year they were all bunched up in the few deeper holes left in the creek. However there were ALOT fewer fish than last year. I talked to a reliable source I have down there and he said there is a big problem with people keeping them. With the easy road access and low water I think some people are wven netting them out. It is very disappointing that we can't even preserve the resource that we pay for because of a few bad apples.

I can't be all negative though. I managed to find a few good size fish and catch them. Being straight off the truck they are not so world wise and I had to accomidate that by throwing some San Juans and egg patterns. I took a new rod out for a spin that day also. So I kinda just wanted to fight a big fish on it no matter the circumstances. Mission accomplished. I will post a pic later of one of the fish when I am at my home computer. If you happen to be down in Greeneville I say give it a try, but don't make a special trip. I grew up there so I have other motives sometimes. Plus you can always stay in Hot Springs for the night which is a cool little town.

kytroutman 10-29-2008 01:00 PM

As long as you're out fishing. I ran into the same thing last Fall when I was there. Picked up a total of eleven corn cans and pulled two cans of dog food from the stream itself.

Grannyknot 10-29-2008 04:48 PM

A friend of mine went to Paint Creek a few weekends ago. Water levels were very low. He saw several very large fish in the larger pools, but couldn't get them to move toward anything he casted.

Fishermansfly 10-29-2008 05:04 PM

Hans

AC, I've actually heard the exact opposite report from a good friend about Paint. Maybe it was just that day...Doug Moore fished it and said it was incredible, catching nice fish all afternoon. I believe 40 fish was the fish count that day...I don't know if that was between him and the guy he went with but for a half day 20 is good! I want to make it up there myself!

~Brett

tennswede 10-29-2008 09:21 PM

Thanks all, I guess it's like everywhere else, hit and miss. After all it's fishing. I just don't want to make it up there again unless the water levels come up. This drought is a pain. I just heard on the radio how some wells are drying up in East TN again.