Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Drowning on the Caney (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11453)

BlueRaiderFan 10-13-2008 05:05 PM

Drowning on the Caney

Seems like a guy stepped into a big hole and couldn't get his boots and waders stripped off and he drowned Sunday morning. Be careful and take a friend. I drove by their Sunday afternoon to go fishing and didn't even know until I saw it on another board. Poor guy.

Kytroutbum 10-14-2008 12:04 AM

I wonder if he had a belt on???

jeffnles1 10-14-2008 11:52 AM

Wow, really sad to hear this. It could happen to any of us. We spend enough time in/on the water that we become complaciant and a little careless. It happens anytime one becomes too comfortable in their surroundings. My dad worked around heavy equipment for most of his life and he got hurt a couple times and a lot of the guys he worked with got hurt, some seriously. The usual cause was they skipped some safety step.

As already said, be careful out there guys.

Jeff

heyski 10-14-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kytroutbum (Post 59198)

My dad was down here last week and we fished the Caney. I had to remind him to buckle his belt.

I've stepped into a 7 foot deep hole years ago. My waders filled all the way up and I was standing on the bottom. Lucky for me that there was no generation and the other side of the hole was a gradual slope that allowed me to walk out. I'd say I was under for about 8-10 seconds. It felt like 30-45 seconds though. Time seems to stop as your body goes into extreme alert mode (at least mine did). I'm always looking out for that next hole. I'm not as young or fit as I was back then and I'm sure not as fast.

It's very sad to hear about an accident such as this.

buster55 10-14-2008 11:08 PM

Sad news

It really is a bummer and I think everyone who fishes tailwaters felt a chill when we read about it. Most of us have been there, or close enough to it to never forget. I read today that the poor fellow could not swim. Not that it would have necessarily been the difference, but I suggest that anyone who has trouble swimming should have an inflatable life jacket on on those types of waters. In fact, it's not a bad idea for all of us.

Prayers for the family and friends.

Alan

bigpopper 10-14-2008 11:21 PM

That's really bad to hear of somone drowning while trying to enjoy life. As others have said and it can never be said enough, allways respect the body of water and the strength it has. Great sugg on the life vest if you are a not so good swimmer. Just double check that gear before hitting the water. I will be keeping this man and his family in my prayers. BRF did you get the mans name? Everyone be SAFE and great fishing!

Worrgamesguy 10-15-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kytroutbum (Post 59198)

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyski (Post 59241)
My dad was down here last week and we fished the Caney. I had to remind him to buckle his belt.

What do belts do?

The only time I've really waded the Caney above my thigh was back in August when I was with Gerry and David. I could easily see how this guy drowned (unfortunate on his part :frown:), the weeds look like they're the same level as you are, then you step on them and find they're a good 2' lower. I stepped in a hole that was deep enough to make water trickle over my waders just by a few centimeters. Tread lightly, I learned. But I don't see the point in having to wade so deep, if you're up to your ribs in water every time a boat passes you have to jump to keep from getting water in your waders.

ALflygirl 10-15-2008 10:13 PM

A wading belt goes on the outside of your waders and cinches up pretty tight so as to keep the water out of your waders if you get too deep.