Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Clinch Today 10-23-08 (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11498)

dps260 10-23-2008 04:55 PM

Clinch Today 10-23-08

Fished the Clinch today and did very well below Peach Orchard. Drifted down to the shoals and below. Caught most fish on a size 18 brown and copper zebra. Took a few on a size 18 green bodied caddis. I love dry fly fishing. The water was extremely low with no generation. As low as I have ever seen it. Fish were fiesty and healthy looking with most in the 12" to 14" range with a few smaller and a couple over 16". A great day to be on the river once it warmed up.

ChemEAngler 10-23-2008 05:25 PM

Thanks for the report, I was thinking about heading over there tomorrow. Waiting to see what the rain does, but if I do go I will probably have the river to myself.

Travis

appalachian angler 10-24-2008 11:35 AM

Be careful if you are fishing in or around Millers' island. I saw quite a few Redds Wednesday. Wade with care. the big browns you may see probably won't be interested in eating. The brookies however are in pre-spawn, colored beautifully, and surprising bigger than one would expect. I caught some very fiesty brookies during a sulfer emergence on some soft hackles that were in the 9-12" range.

Please be careful where you wade, first and foremost!

aa

golfballs03 10-24-2008 01:11 PM

TWRA ought to post a sign there and let people know...

ChemEAngler 10-24-2008 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfballs03 (Post 59616)
TWRA ought to post a sign there and let people know...

I agree. This time last fall I had two people tell me that they didn't realize it until it was too late, but that they had been walking on redds all morning.

I ended up not getting out today. I wasn't able to get out of the office until 1:30 instead of my usual 11:30.

Travis

Worrgamesguy 10-24-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appalachian angler (Post 59610)
Be careful if you are fishing in or around Millers' island. I saw quite a few Redds Wednesday. Wade with care. the big browns you may see probably won't be interested in eating. The brookies however are in pre-spawn, colored beautifully, and surprising bigger than one would expect. I caught some very fiesty brookies during a sulfer emergence on some soft hackles that were in the 9-12" range.

Please be careful where you wade, first and foremost!

aa

What are those?

Gerry Romer 10-24-2008 04:53 PM

Spawning beds or nests. Right now they're highly visible on the Caney Fork all the way from the dam on down.

Worrgamesguy 10-24-2008 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerry Romer (Post 59627)
Spawning beds or nests. Right now they're highly visible on the Caney Fork all the way from the dam on down.

Ah, I remember now... My parents gave me my birthday presents today since they are leaving tomorrow and won't be back until a few days after my birthday (1 week from today). I got two trout books, an Orvis shirt, and a "Life is Good- 'Cast Away'" shirt that shows a guy fly fishing.