Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Conservation Organizations and Fly Fishing Clubs (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Awards From TWRA (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11514)

Gypsy 10-28-2008 05:11 PM

Awards From TWRA

Today is a proud day in the Gypsy household. My three sons received awards from TWRA (Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency) for their work in conservation. They adopted Buffalo Creek a small stock stream in Grainger Co. and started cleaning it up back this past spring. Back in Sept. they spent 3 days in a major clean-up effort bringing out 5 large lawn bags of garbage out. They where recognized by TWRA for their work and received a letter from the exec. dir. and certificates.:biggrin:
I really appreciate TWRA for seeing the boys and taking the time to do a little something for them the boys are extremely happy with the letter and certificates. And a big thanks to Allen Ricks region 4 fisheries.:biggrin:

Get kids involved early and they will stick with it for life, I did.

ChemEAngler 10-28-2008 05:25 PM

Congratulations to your sons, that is something to be proud of. I think there is a lack of appreciation of the outdoors by today's youth. It is good to see that you have instilled in them a respect for the resource that we have.

Travis

gverholek 10-29-2008 10:44 AM

I tip my hat to your boys, and to their parents.

Well done, boys; well done. It does my heart good to hear of such fine young men willing to roll up their sleeves and get it done. Cudos to their parents who instilled such values.

flyguys 10-29-2008 08:21 PM

Thank God for young men such as yours!! Too bad someone so young had to clean up the mess of someone probably twice their age. I just wish everyone treated the great outdoors with respect it deserves, then all of us could enjoy it more and spend less time cleaning up after the ones that don't give a rats a**!

tennswede 10-29-2008 09:35 PM

You have my utmost respect in teaching your young un's about the outdoors and the responsible use of the resource. I have stopped many times at the small water fall on Buffalo Creek just to enjoy the area. I have spoken to many a fisherman but never fished it myself.

Gypsy 10-30-2008 10:15 AM

I thank you all for your comments, they are encouraging!
*tennswede; I can see you have been here for a while now using words such as young un's. As far as fishing the springs with a fly rod, it can be done (I do a lot) however it is best to go from the Holston River and work your way up to the TWRA crossing. TWRA stocks bow's and browns both in it the browns stay low mostly around the bridge. This being a stocked put-in/take-out creek in the summer the water temps are high so the bait fishermen meet the truck on stocking day and take them all. But there are a few good holes on the lower section that never see bait fishermen and stay shaded and cooler. I also fish up from Buffalo in the holston and have very good luck in the fall and winter. You should give it a try, I fish it because I live so close to it and it always produces fish. (Once a 19in Bow)

tennswede 11-01-2008 07:16 PM

Yeah, I have been known to use a southern saying now and then. Picked up most of it from in-laws and coworkers. Anyway, I have always had the idea that Buffalo creek is on private property at the mouth and only public within the WMA. Is that correct? I walked the trail from the bridge upstream a couple of hundred yards. How far can you go before you hit private property?

Thanks,