Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Holston Below Cherokee 11-23 (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11589)

CinciVol 11-24-2008 11:06 AM

Holston Below Cherokee 11-23

I fished the Holston below Cherokee dam on sunday and tried out some flies that Hugh Hartsell kindly tied for me a while back. I got to the river around 11 am on Sunday (they had generated until 10 am) and walked down to the shoals near the quarry. There must be a way to get to the river down at the quarry as there were a couple of guys already down there. Actually, I don't mind the walk and fishing without at least a little blood donated to briars hardly feels like fishing to me.

Anyway, there were fish everywhere and I could tell that it had been stocked by the number of smaller fish making splashy rises. Everything caddis ended up working including dries, soft hackles, and beadheads. I caught a ton of fish and the real challenge was trying to cast to quality trout to avoid the little stockers. I ended up with about 5 rainbows that looked like holdovers with one about 16 inches (on the beadhead). That fish fought like a train though and I would have sworn it was 20" before I saw it. The caddis hatch lasted from noon till about 2 pm and then the grey midge swarm came off. I bolted at 3 when the water came on.

Carolina Boy 11-24-2008 11:12 AM

Access ?'s

Hey I have only fished the Holston down by Nances Ferry How accesible is the uppoer strech? Is it as difficult to find as Nances Ferry? Sometimes I still get turned around! Thanks!

CinciVol 11-24-2008 01:04 PM

You can park at the Holston River boat Ramp below Cherokee dam (off rt 92) and hike about a mile or so down-river along the south side (same side as the ramp) to a set of shoals along a path that is mostly briar free. The river is pretty flat until you get to the shoals so you have to walk a ways. Once there, you will have about a half mile of great water to fish. I highly reccomend it.

pineman19 11-29-2008 11:45 AM

Cincivol,

Do you have to walk over private land to get to the shoals below the dam? That's my only concern, although I have to walk along the edge of a pasture to reach the shoals at Nances Ferry. I don't want to end up in the local jail for some fish.

Neal

CinciVol 12-01-2008 09:08 AM

Pineman, to my knowledge, you are either not on proivate land, or the individual who owns the field that you have to skirt alongside to get downstream is allows fishermen to cross his/her property. I base this on 1) a lack of any posted signs, and 2) it is mentioned in guidebooks and websites as a public access. Hopefully it's true!

pineman19 12-03-2008 06:58 AM

Thanks for the info Cincivol. I will have to give that area a try sometime. I have focused on the Nances Ferry area since it's only 20 minutes from my house. It's nice to explore some new water.

Neal

Flyrookie 12-27-2008 09:57 PM

Thanks Cincivol for the information as well. I have never fished the Holston and I too appreciate your advice. I am going to try to head out tomorrow if the weather holds. Thanks!

Flat Fly n 12-28-2008 08:06 PM

Nance's Ferry

As far as access on Nance's Ferry, I once walked out into the field where the farmer was mowing and asked for permission to walk along his pasture and he said "nobody has ever asked, but thanks, and help yourself".

Now, rules of thumb. IF you see garbage along the access trail pack it out, and if there are more than one of you, walk single file as not to tear up the hay which is what they are trying to grow. Simple rules

Varmitcounty 12-30-2008 12:11 PM

Guys,

I consider that portion of the Holston my Winter hang out. As a matter of fact, my avatar is at the ferry. The biggest problem this year for me has been generation. Don't know if you have seen the ferry with two or more churning but you don't want to be in the middle when she rises.

The recommendation to pick up the trash on your way out is a good rule of thumb no matter where you find yourself.

~marc~