Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Obey river (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11700)

troutfanatic 01-02-2009 11:13 PM

Obey river

Has anyone fished the Obey river below Dale Hollow dam lately? It seems to be the only dam not running water all day. How is the fishing there? I have to go somewhere, I'm going nuts not fishing. Thanks for any help. David Moore. (teacher on Christmas vacation). :smile:

David Knapp 01-02-2009 11:53 PM

Don't know how the Obey has been fishing but if I was fishing in the next couple of days and didn't mind driving, I'd be headed to upper east Tennessee and the South Holston or Watauga. Both of good schedules for wading at least for tomorrow... Wish they would turn off the generators longer on the Caney but doesn't look like it will happen for awhile yet...

Skipjack 01-03-2009 10:52 PM

Fished the Obey Today

Hi
My son-in-law and I fishied the Obey today and caught 4 rainbow. They were not large trout, all in the range of 10" ----but we lost two trout that borke off and we both know they were larger than 10". We did not know the water temp. but our feet was just about num after 20 minutes or so. We were using black and silver midges number 18 size with a 6X tippet--using an indicator about 14" from the midge. The water was slow flow but no more than knee deep in most places--we fished at the moody point access. There was one other fisherman wading but we did'nt see him catching anything. If you can stand the cold water you can catch trout. Really a beautiful place to fish. Good Luck.

troutfanatic 01-05-2009 03:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I have never fished the Obey and didn't know how wadeable it was or anything about it. The rain just keeps coming!!! Hopefully we will have a great spring and summer!!! I try to think positive. For now, it is fly tying time. :biggrin:

Tentwing 01-05-2009 03:53 PM

The Obey is a good tailwater. I have noticed that the fly selection is more narrow than most tailwaters in TN. Stick to small midge imitations and you should do fine.

......Tentwing

Luke Warmwater 01-05-2009 08:30 PM

Obey river

The Obey seems to be the river of choice when the Caney and Elk have been blown out, for me anyway. We fished it just after Christmas and had good luck with a respectable number brookies and rainbows. We caught most of our fish on #12 BHPT's and some on #18 zebra midges. We also had a few hits on #20 thread midges under a dry, but the hot fly for us has been a big BHPT. Reading Tentwing's post above I don't think you could go wrong with a two fly rig a BHPT above a midge.

Click on the link below, then Fishing Report and there is a report from the Obey down the list a little ways.

www.southeasternfly.com
diperry@mindspring.com

troutfanatic 01-09-2009 08:15 PM

Again, I really appreciate all the helpful info. I hope to meet some of you on the river sometime. Tight lines. David Moore. :smile:

Tentwing 01-12-2009 02:00 PM

David

When planning to fish the Obey you need to check the generation on the Cumberland as well. When they run 3 or more gens on the Cumby it backs the obey up turning the entire 8 mile strech of the Obey unwadeable and with no current.

If the downstream elavation on the Cumberland is greater than 558ft then thw Obey is out of business.

Thought you might wanna know this before hand since its a pretty good drive up from Cleavland.

..............Tentwing