Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (
-   Rod Building (
-   -   Somebody Talk me out of it! (

MickinMS 01-08-2009 04:43 PM

Somebody Talk me out of it!
Ok, I have gotten the bug to build my own fly rod. I am a new member of the Mid-Sotuh Fly Fishers and in our monthly newsletter they announced a rod building class. I have never been remotely interested in building a rod, but now for some reason I can't get it out of my head. To make it worse, I have the itch to build a glass rod. Am I crazy! SOmebody talk me out of it. I need another hobby like a hole in my head!

gmreeves 01-08-2009 06:05 PM

Build it! And build a glass rod if you want. If you don't like it when you are done, build a graphite rod. You can never build just one.

MickinMS 01-08-2009 06:19 PM

How hard is it? Am I going to get addicted and end up spending more money on gear? If so, I am in!!!

buckeyetrouter 01-08-2009 07:48 PM

Just Do It
:cool:Just Do It.....(hmmmm, that could be a great advertisement for someone), anyways Christmas 2007 I built my fist fly rod from a kit. I wanted something special to give to my Daughter (who moved to the Smokies before the ole man did) and I love it and she loved it. I even built the jig for wrapping the eyelets and it works really good.....I plan on making a Sage rod for myself (don't know why but I've always wanted a Sage) and then a few sprinning rods for my Father.....You should love it and anyone who may get a rod from you as a gift with cherish it......

God Bless & Good Fishing

gmreeves 01-09-2009 11:21 AM

Putting a graphite rod together is not difficult at all. If you tie flies and have a some attention to detail your rods will most likely come out looking better than factory rods. I never paid any attention to the quality of manufacured rods before I started building and now I look at them with a close eye. It is amazing at the poor quality that some big manufacturers put out.

MickinMS 01-09-2009 11:57 AM

I do tie flies so I guess I can handle it. What about fiberglass, is it more difficult? I was looking at buying a Lamiglass blank (the honey colored one). Does anyone know if they come in 7 weight? I want to make it a warm water rod.

gmreeves 01-09-2009 12:08 PM

I don't think fiberglass will differ any from a graphite rod. If you are going to buy all of the components, it will be a very easy build. Now you can make it more complicated and buy cork rings and shape the grip yourself. If you have a lathe, you can turn your own wood insert. Other than that, it is only a matter of wrapping the guides and gluing the handle and reel seat on. There are a lot of books and info on the web about rod building. If you go to, you will get all of your questions answered by some very knowledgeable builders.

Troutman 01-09-2009 12:30 PM

The lamiglass honey blanks are from 3-5 wt only. They are full flexing rods. I have a 7' 3wt 2piece and a 7'6" 4wt 3piece. The 4wt is actually slower than the 3wt due to the extra length and spigot ferrules. Honeys are e-glass which is thicker and more flexing than the lighter and faster s-glass.
I have owned a glass 8' 7wt before and it worked well for bass but sold it and now use a 7.5 ft 6wt. I throw up to a size 1 popper out to normal fishing ranges of 40-60 ft. These are older 1970s models of the fenwick feralite series. Fiberglass works best in the 3-6 wt range and from 7-8 ft lengths.
You should go to fiberglass flyrodders forum for more info on building and choosing a rod if your interested in glass.
Here is a pict. of my lamiglass honeys and the other is of my Fenwick glass.

MickinMS 01-09-2009 12:44 PM

Troutman - Those are beautiful rods. I think I will go with a 4wt to fill in some of my rod gaps. What do you call the type of grip you have on your Lami rods. Those look very cool.

Troutman 01-09-2009 01:03 PM

I had the 4wt built for me by a custom rod maker out in Wyoming. I told him what I wanted and sent some pictures of what I liked. He did a great job and I am very pleased with it. He hand shaped the cork grip.
The 3wt (lower rod in the top picture) is one I did. I bought the handle kit from janns net craft cat # 250734 and installed it myself.
I use the 4wt for tailwater trout and the 3wt for mtn fishing and bream in the warmwaters. nothing like a bluegill on a full flexing rod!
The handles are called cigar grips