Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Heading to the Caney (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11829)

BlueRaiderFan 01-31-2009 09:18 PM

Heading to the Caney

tomorrow around noon...will be in the wife's Corolla:biggrin: If you see me, say howdy!

David Knapp 01-31-2009 10:24 PM

See you there...bring your own rock, its going to be a zoo...:eek:

BlueRaiderFan 02-01-2009 12:29 AM

I figure I'll wedge myslef in some where!:biggrin: I think I'll bring a shoe horn!:biggrin:

flynut 02-01-2009 12:15 PM

Yesterday was super crowded...I'm sure today will be about the same...Good luck!

BlueRaiderFan 02-01-2009 07:58 PM

wasn't too crowded, but no where to park at the dam until later, so I fished HH. Well, I would tell you what worked, but I left my dry box and midge/emerger box at home by my tying station...Not fun. I did get to try a lot of streamers. Got a hit or two on a black bugger with crystal flash, but wasnt very productive. Lot's of wind from all directions. Saw guys fishing midges that caught a few. Fun day out of the house, even if I did get skunked.

David Knapp 02-01-2009 11:20 PM

Seemed kinda strange to me today. Started out up towards the dam and got into several fish quickly on a stripper midge but then things slowed down to a crawl. I would catch a fish and then go for long periods of time without so much as a hit. Kept changing flies and each one was good for a fish or two but never did find a hot pattern... Moved down to Happy in the middle of the afternoon and caught a few more but still awfully slow. Here's the best fish I managed today...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...3/IMGP4091.jpg

nvr2L8 02-01-2009 11:35 PM

David,
Looks like an excellent candidate for February fish of the month! Nice.

Rachel,
If you're out there, looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down early. Get casting!

BlueRaiderFan 02-01-2009 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plateau Angler (Post 62652)
Seemed kinda strange to me today. Started out up towards the dam and got into several fish quickly on a stripper midge but then things slowed down to a crawl. I would catch a fish and then go for long periods of time without so much as a hit. Kept changing flies and each one was good for a fish or two but never did find a hot pattern... Moved down to Happy in the middle of the afternoon and caught a few more but still awfully slow. Here's the best fish I managed today...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/k...3/IMGP4091.jpg

I was down at Happy for a few hours around 12-3. Stood by the ramp. Stood in the middle of the river. Nothing. My cast is rusty and I didn't have anything but streamers with me. The wind was killing me.

ajh10567 02-02-2009 12:11 AM

That is some depressing news, I always counted on the Caney for a solid day no matter how crowded it was. I may have to get up there soon before it gets any worse.

Gerry Romer 02-02-2009 02:03 AM

Fishing the Caney with David

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajh10567 (Post 62658)
That is some depressing news, I always counted on the Caney for a solid day no matter how crowded it was. I may have to get up there soon before it gets any worse.

I met up with David this morning at the dam and we fished the dam pool, then the crescent below the stairs for a couple hours before moving down to HH. I didn't do quite as well as David did but I did manage a couple. Same pattern though...I'd go fish-less for a while and change out my offering and get one on immediately, then go fish-less again until I changed out my setup.

Very spotty fishing, but I don't think it had anything to do with fishing pressure. Today was pretty much a cakewalk compared to the combat fishing on the day after Thanksgiving! I wonder if maybe all of the recent heavy generation has had an impact on their normal feeding patterns.

The other thing I noticed today was that the only really noticeable "midging" came after a few minutes of calm. The wind was quite gusty at times and, now that I think about it, all of my fish came in periods of relative calm -- except for my last fish.

My last fish was my personal best for today. When we got to HH at about 4:00, the water was still falling out so I decided to go bigger and deeper. David headed upstream from the boat ramp fishing the little islands and backwaters while I waded straight out from the boat ramp. I tied about four feet of 5x off my furled leader, tied on a red Copper John, and dropped a #14 BHPT about two feet of the bend of the Copper John. First cast was into the wind and I watched my indicator drift right past me. About 10 feet downstream it twitched and I lifted... pretty little 13 - 14 inch brown.

A short while after that, I was telling David about it and it occurred to me that all of my fish had come at the end of a drift, as I was lifting the rod. Maybe there's a tip there for somebody:rolleyes: