Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Hiwassee river (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12151)

mstone 04-06-2009 09:25 PM

Hiwassee river

Generation was favorable on Saturday for wading so I made the first trip for the season. Got to my favorite stretch of water around noon. I had passed a fair number of anglers on the way and did not see anyone hooked up. I noticed good numbers of what looked like march browns and some hendricksons coming off and the fish were very active. Till three-thirty, it was non stop action. Some fish were active till around five thirty and then it just died. Good while it lasted. Somewhere between fifteen and twenty brought to hand, all rainbows, best was fourteen with big shoulders. Four or five patterns worked, parachute adams, olives, hendrickson emergers, most all in size fourteen. Water temp was fifty eight degrees at three thirty. It was good to get the fly rod out. Its on now. Vacation starts next week.

mstone

FishNHunt 04-08-2009 12:19 PM

I was also at the Hiwassee on saturday. It was my first trip down there. You are correct in that the fishing was great. I put atleast 20 to hand. I fished nymphs all day. I didn't land any big fish but, I got spooled by... something. It could have been one of those huge red horses or even a large mouth. I saw one large mouth with a lamprey or whatever they are attached to it and it was longer than the bass. I was in a gold Toyota Tacoma and I fished at the first spot after you go across the bridge and turn right then I went to the upper end and it was packed. I am taking my fiance down this coming saturday and hopefully get her into some action.

kytroutman 04-08-2009 12:30 PM

FNH, you are the third person I have heard talking about the lampreys on the HI. Are they becoming that much of a problem or just more noticeable?

FishNHunt 04-08-2009 09:22 PM

I couldn't tell you. It's the first one I've personally ever seen attached to a fish and the first time I was on the HI I saw one. I would like some imput on the browns in the HI. I was thinking that the ratio was alittle higher but, I never hooked up with one all day and in a day were ever run was producing a hook up and or fish landed you would think atleast 1 would have been a brown if the ratio was even 10%. Also, I fished the "trophy trout" section of the HI and I landed a bow 12" long. Is a 12" fish considered a nice/large fish on the HI. I might have set my goal alittle high but, I wasn't impressed with the average size of fish. Now, don't get me wrong the landscape was beautiful and when the train came by and blew at me when I waved that was pretty cool but, the fish fought very hard and I even had a 10" run me down the river. Oh and whom ever it was asking if the Fly shop on the corner was for sale, the sign reads "buildings and land for sale". Alittle info would be nice if anyone wants to give me some pointers on picking up that 14" fish without giving up their hotspots.

mstone 04-08-2009 10:36 PM

FishnHunt,
There are special regs on the browns up there so you would think you might see more. Even back when the river fished much better, I never saw that many browns caught. The hardware guys would take some nice ones though. Some days you will catch a few but most times you don't know that their in there.As far as fourteen inch fish.....They seem to be few and far between. Someone may say different, but as many fish as I have caught up there, they certainly are not there in any kind of numbers. Summer water temps over the past few years affect the holdover fish I'm afraid. I personally don't think that the insects are there like they use to be. The caddis are way off. Like you said though, its a beautiful river, one of our prettiest. Do some walking and get away from the roads.

mstone

ChemEAngler 04-09-2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone (Post 65562)
FishnHunt,
There are special regs on the browns up there so you would think you might see more. Even back when the river fished much better, I never saw that many browns caught. The hardware guys would take some nice ones though. Some days you will catch a few but most times you don't know that their in there.As far as fourteen inch fish.....They seem to be few and far between. Someone may say different, but as many fish as I have caught up there, they certainly are not there in any kind of numbers. Summer water temps over the past few years affect the holdover fish I'm afraid. I personally don't think that the insects are there like they use to be. The caddis are way off. Like you said though, its a beautiful river, one of our prettiest. Do some walking and get away from the roads.

mstone

I haven't fished the Hiwassee in over a year now, and it is in large part because I made the same observations you just mentioned. Now I may be wrong, it may still be a great river. However, the last few times I fished it, I was not very pleased with the quality of fish.

monktrout 04-09-2009 06:01 PM

I'm hardly an expert on the Hiwassee, but I generally fish below Reliance to avoid the crowds. I catch fewer fish. The fish I do catch seem like nice strong fish. I have not noticed any scarred fish or lampreys.

mstone 04-09-2009 10:31 PM

chemEAngler,
it's hard for me not to go back each spring, hoping things have improved. I usually give it until May, and then I'll start fishing the Clinch. Like I said, the hatches just are not what they used to be. It's the closest tailwater to me and I learned to flyfish there. This year I will fish it some in June and maybe July once they start generating water. A friend of mine is about to finish building a drift boat and I think the first float will be up there.

mstone

Stonefly 04-10-2009 04:17 PM

Years ago, the hatches there were incredible. I usually fished the trail area, and would see multiple hatches of mayflies and caddis. Had great Isonychia hatches.

Haven't fished there too much the past few years but when I have, didn't seem to hit the quality it once was.

sb