Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Which state and why? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12414)

tennswede 05-31-2009 08:00 PM

Which state and why?

Interested in taking a poll. Planning for a trip next year. Can't do any extensive hiking or camping, due to other family members interests and needs. Give me your ideas and why,

Need to be west of Mississippi River.
Fly fishing only for salmonid species.
Wading only.
No guide.
Fishing approx, six days.
Time Frame: Early Sept.
Type of fishing: Easy roadside access.
Lodging: Motel and or Cabin.
Don't mind crowds if fishing is good anyway.

Which destination would be your top choice?
Thanks for any suggestions.

lee0070 05-31-2009 08:36 PM

I would say Estes Park Colorado. You have the Big Thompson River and the Cache la Poudre River real close. Both are great trout streams with easy roadside entry. Have the park handy too. Lots of motels there.

David Knapp 05-31-2009 11:38 PM

Gunnison or Durango Colorado...or of course there's always Yellowstone. At that time of the year, the kokanee salmon will be running out of Blue Mesa Reservoir up the Gunnison River so you'll have something out of the ordinary to fish for. The Gunnison River always fishes well...I would take a day trip to the Black Canyon to sight see and fish at East Portal for athletic 14-20 inch fish with large fish possible. Fish the Taylor catch and release section below the dam for the monster trout (but beware, they are picky) that will quickly become an addiction. If the picky tailwater trout prove to be too much, there is a ton of small to medium sized streams in the area loaded with fish...and don't even get me started on the often overlooked stillwater opportunities... Fishing is good in this area but not necessarily easy...

Durango has more for the non-fisher if you are concerned about having stuff like shopping available... Lots of small streams around there as well plus there is the Animas right through town. Also you aren't really all that far from the famed San Juan tailwater in New Mexico and could easily do a day trip down there (or two or three). Durango is located in the foothills of the San Juan mountains which, in my opinion, comprise some of the most beautiful scenery in the country...

Yellowstone...can't say enough good things about it and terrestrial fishing will be on fire at that time of the year...

PeteCz 06-01-2009 08:59 AM

Ditto

I'm with PA:
1) Durango - A great town for non fisherperson, as well,
2) Yellowstone - This one may even be at the top of the list since you are looking at September...

kytroutman 06-01-2009 09:56 AM

Personally, I would hit Montana, especially in September. Most the tourists are gone and you can have your choice of streams.

Troutman 06-01-2009 01:14 PM

Yellowstone. wadable rivers all around you. The Madison and Gibbon are all easily fished with roadside access and sept. is a great month to be there. Lots of things to do with the family as well. I like to stay in west yellowstone for the hotels, restaurants, fly shops, Imax and walk around small town shopping. Easy drive down from Bozeman airport.
You only need a guide if your doing a float trip outside of the park.

Carolina Boy 06-01-2009 01:41 PM

Gotta agree with Troutman, West Yellowstone is great and U are in the middle of trout heaven with tons of stuff for the family to do while you wet a line, the bear/wolf expo/zoo thing in W-Yellowstone is cool too.

waterwolf 06-01-2009 02:01 PM

No question in my mind where I would go.

Maupin, Oregon
Deschutes River Canyon
Endless miles of wadeable water
No people
Nice fish
Steelhead and trout
Perfect weather every day during Spetember
The only limitation is how far you are willing to walk
If you go leave the soft hackles at home, may not work ;)

Grannyknot 06-01-2009 04:09 PM

I hope waterwolf is right, cause thats where I'm headin' in September.

tennswede 06-01-2009 06:58 PM

Lets see!

We got a vote for Oregon, a couple for CO and the rest MT. Hum, I have been contemplating Durango area and West Yellowstone. Oregon would be nice also, I have spent a lot of time there non fishing about twenty years ago. This is not going to be easy. I also found out about a lake in AZ with grayling but it's a long way from anything else.

I'm going with my old mom, she is in to taking a road trip with me. She is not hard to please as long as we can find clean and comfortable lodging and our day trips can be done in spurts of two three hours of driving at a time.

I'm leaning towards MT.