Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Chest Waders or Waist Highs (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12628)

gverholek 07-10-2009 07:47 PM

Chest Waders or Waist Highs

I can't remember wading in water high enough to need chest waders, but that's what I have used for decades. My present waders have developed multiple leaks, and I'm considering replacing them with waist high waders. I expect they would be cooler and less cumbersome. Having recently become eligible for Medicare, I don't plan on wading much deeper than my knees, but then... Are chest waders necessary? What are the advantages and disadvantages of waist high waders? Please comment freely.

rivergal 07-10-2009 08:05 PM

I prefer chest waders, and have waded into some deep water in the Clinch.
My chest waders have a chest pocket for a camera.

silvercreek 07-10-2009 08:45 PM

I like waist highs. By the time I need chest waders, I'm shipping water into my lower vest pockets anyway. Waist highs feel just like you are wearing a pair of pants. Much cooler. Most chest waders these days convert, so maybe you can get the best of both worlds, if you can figure out what to do with the suspenders.

kytroutman 07-10-2009 09:32 PM

Look at the convertible waders and get the best of both.

silvercreek 07-10-2009 09:43 PM

Ever consider hip boots? That's my preference for the small streams. You can get to all your pants pockets. I don't wade deep water anyway, so it is no hardship.

gverholek 07-11-2009 07:30 AM

I think hippers would work well for the mountains, but they won't do for the tailwaters.
Convertibles are in consideration.
I just need more input from those who wear waist highs.

tlshealy 07-11-2009 10:44 AM

Even though your not wading much over your knees, it's nice to have extra coverage if you slip, or step into a hole, sometimes a few more inches can keep you from getting your pants full of water.
Tad

nvr2L8 07-11-2009 08:06 PM

I can attest to the fact that, with a good slip, you can fill up chest waders as easily as waist waders. :eek: Have done that on Lynn Camp Prong.

My first pair of waders were chest waders but my next pair will definitely be waist-high. Even though I can convert my chest waders to waist-high using my suspenders, they just feel bulky.

irfishing 07-11-2009 08:53 PM

Waders

Although I have both types, the waist waders are my preference especially in the summer. They get used on tail waters, mountain streams and big river float trips. Will work anywhere. If you fall in water of any depth you are going to get wet with either type of waders. Just part of the fishing experience.:biggrin:

gverholek 07-12-2009 11:23 AM

Thanks for the opinions and experiences. Keep'm coming.