Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Twist On Weights (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12922)

Crockett 09-11-2009 08:32 AM

Twist On Weights

I read about these in Jim Casada's new book and hadn't heard much about them before. I always used split shot but it seems like too much weight when casting a lot of the time. I like the idea of these twist on weights that come in strips because you can cut them I think and adjust the amount of weight you add. Has anyone tried them and how good do they work? Also does anyone know if LRO sells them?

D-Drake 09-11-2009 10:07 AM

Crockett,
We used to sell them. They came in a little match book. The last time I ordered them the distributer we buy from said that the Twistons company was out of business.

I'll keep my eyes open for another source.

Daniel

pmike 09-11-2009 11:11 AM

Just a thought...

I wonder if a person were to purchase a spool of lead wire, and simply cut several lengths, how that would work? One other option would be to figure out what length you would need or want and use a pair of pliers or diagonal cutters to indent the wire, then role it back on the spool for ease of carry and use. Then all you would need to do is unroll a section and bend to break it off...hey, forget everything I just said, wacth your local retail fly shop shelves for a new, innovative product :O)

Crockett 09-11-2009 11:16 AM

Thanks Daniel yeah I found a website where they sold it like that in matchbooks but it said out of stock. Mike you know thats a great idea maybe I will try that instead ;)

silvercreek 09-11-2009 12:54 PM

Some wines use tin over the cork and bottle neck. While not as heavy as lead, it is heavy and flexible. Some now use what appears to be aluminum. Tin will be softer, and likely not as shiny. Some squeeze tubea are also tin as opposed to plastic. Either of these can be cut into strips for weighting leaders. Lead was used for wine bottles, but I believe that practice has been discontinued.

Ghost 10-21-2009 09:59 PM

I'm using a roll of lead wire found in the fly tying section of a shop. Scissors cuts it easy. I've also thought of using silver solder [fluxless] which is always available.
Twist-ons don't seem to hang-up as much as split shot either. Ghost

flyman 10-23-2009 10:25 PM

Crockett,
I have started using tungsten putty and really like it. It doesn't damage the leader, and you can easily adjust the amount of weight you want on the leader. It's malleable and can be shaped in a way that makes it easier to cast and less likely to hang up.

rivergal 10-24-2009 10:09 AM

Will tungsten putty slip or stay put? If it is heavier than lead is it hard to
guess how much to use? I have seen it in Cabelas, but was afraid the fish
would be perplexed to see a gob of that stuff on my line.

SWAMPUS 10-29-2009 09:26 AM

Flat lead

Don't know if any of you remember it or not but,years ago I got flat lead-1/8" wide-that came on a plastic spool that was flat on one side and convex on other.The spool that is.The rims came together and prevented the lead from becoming unwound.Simply pinch off what you want and leave the end exposed for next time,It twisted on very nicelyand you could pinch it with thumbnail to secure.Stayed in place.If it did slide,just slide it into place and pinch again.Also,you could un-wrap it to use again.Don't remember the name but I think I have the spool and will check when I get to cabin in Nov.Am going to Gatlinburg for a week and will try to remember to take it by LRO.Note:Used remember 3x,now 4x in this post.Memory not what it used to be.AAAARRRGH!:mad:

Crockett 10-29-2009 09:53 AM

Hey flyman I think I will get some of that tungsten putty...