Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Little River System Map Makeover (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13009)

JoeFred 10-02-2009 02:33 AM

Little River System Map Makeover

12/15/2012 UPDATE:
This particular map is no longer accessible. See www.smokystreams.com for even better and free alternatives.

Jim Casada 10-02-2009 08:16 AM

JoeFred--Another nice job. I want to look more carefully before suggesting any comments, but I do have a question. What are your parameters for a waterfall listing? I really like the concept but wondered if you had an arbitrary rule (i. e., how many feet of drop) for a waterfall mark. Jim Casada

JoeFred 10-02-2009 10:12 AM

Thanks, Jim. The waterfall listings, at least at the start, willl be 1) those in the book, Waterfalls of the Smokies by the Great Smoky Mountains Association and 2) those that act as a barrier to non-native species trying to invade current and future speck waters. I am interested in broadening the parameters. I purchased the book at the Park visitors center in Sevierville. Text is by Hubbs, Maynard and Morris. One of these days I am going to list acknowledgements on the web site.

JF

MadisonBoats 10-02-2009 10:47 AM

Another excellent map JoeFred! Wonderful Job!

My only input or suggestion would be to offer a layer option in the pdf format to turn on and off certain features. I think Adobe supports that feature.

Otherwise, wonderful maps!

Thanks,

JoeFred 10-02-2009 11:41 AM

Thanks, Shawn. I'll definitely look into that. My Illustrator file is set up in layers, so that aspect is covered. Had you given thought to which layer(s) you would like to be able to turn on/off?

JF

Jim Casada 10-02-2009 11:44 AM

JoeFred--That makes sense. I own the book (as well as pretty much everything else which has been published on Appalachia). The book is adequate but by no means definitive (which is to say it doesn't list all waterfalls, and that's especially true for those on small streams). A more detailed (but still far from complete) work for the N. C. side of the Park is Kevin Adams, "North Carolina Waterfalls."
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

nvr2L8 10-02-2009 10:16 PM

JF,
Depending on your answer to Jim regarding your definition of a waterfall, I would consider identifying falls at the mouth of Mannis Branch where it dumps into Little River and also a couple of falls on Sams Creek that form the barrier between bows in Thunderhead/lower Sams and specs in upper Sams.

JoeFred 10-02-2009 11:29 PM

Thanks, Charlie! I added symbols. Will add labels and tweak the locations later. I noticed you were on Sam's Creek earlier this year. I had hoped to fish it Saturday, but will only have time to make it to Greenbrier.

JF

JoeFred 10-03-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Casada (Post 72503)
A more detailed (but still far from complete) work for the N. C. side of the Park is Kevin Adams, "North Carolina Waterfalls."
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Thanks, Jim! I'll check out Adams' book.

JF

MadisonBoats 10-05-2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeFred (Post 72502)
Thanks, Shawn. I'll definitely look into that. My Illustrator file is set up in layers, so that aspect is covered. Had you given thought to which layer(s) you would like to be able to turn on/off?

JF

Well, nothing definitive; but, you could allow users that access the maps via pdf to turn on and off certain information that may cloud your maps. One thought is you could add seasonal information or notes...?

Just some ideas to help...:smile: