Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   How many rods do you have and where do (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13112)

BlueRaiderFan 10-30-2009 03:26 PM

How many rods do you have and where do

you keep them?

Me: Two rods. A cheapo 8'6" 6wt White River outfit as a back up that I keep in my "SUV" (A truck sealed off on the back end:cool:) and a 8' 4wt TFO with Orvis BBSIII reel that I use most of the time. I do want to get a new 6wt set up for the Caney and put the White River outfit in my wife's car (in case I take her car and forget my rig). I guess I need to get a BBSII for the 4wt and put the BBSIII on my new 6wt, but it casts just fine for me so far.

flyred06 10-30-2009 06:21 PM

I have an even dozen:

2 -4wts - 1diamond glass - 1 orvis superfine
3 -5wts - 1 winston im6 - 1 temple fork - 1 eagle claw
2 -6wts - 1winston im6 - 1 walter babb cane rod
3 -8wts - 1 sage - 1 st.croiux - 1 shakespere
1 -9wt - orvis silver lable
1 -11wt - orvis TLS

I keep them stacked in a corner beside my fly tying table, in a gun cabinet and in my safe. I am now wanting to add a Sage 5wt z axis for x-mas.

Jim Casada 10-30-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan (Post 73389)
you keep them?

Me: Two rods. A cheapo 8'6" 6wt White River outfit as a back up that I keep in my "SUV" (A truck sealed off on the back end:cool:) and a 8' 4wt TFO with Orvis BBSIII reel that I use most of the time. I do want to get a new 6wt set up for the Caney and put the White River outfit in my wife's car (in case I take her car and forget my rig). I guess I need to get a BBSII for the 4wt and put the BBSIII on my new 6wt, but it casts just fine for me so far.

BlueRaiderFan--I'm afraid I'm not what could be described as a minimalist when it comes to rods. To tell the truth, I've never counted. I do know I have three bamboo rods--A South Bend Tonkin cane one which was my first rod and which has to be 75+ years old since it was a hand-me-down from my father, a one-piece 61/2 foot Hardy rod, and a classic three-piece F. E. Thomas. Similarly, I know that I have three fiberglass rods. When you get to the modern stuff though, I'm guessing somewhere between 75 and a 100. Most of them came my way from manufacturers over the years, especially when I wrote the Trout & Salmon column for North American Fisherman magazine for a time. Also, several were given to me by "clients" back when I was part of a fishing operation working out of white Sulphur Springs, MT. I can only remember buying two, and in each case it was because I wanted a special purpose rod.

In my case, a more relevant question might be how many do I use. I fish the Sound Bend bambook rod once or twice a year purely for nostalgic reasons, I have a nine-piece L. L. Bean pack rod I use a fair amount in the backcountry, and I have a four-weight Winston and a five-weight Sage which see considerable use.

The flat-out truth of it is that fly rods are sort of like guns--you can never have too many of them.

Jim Casada

www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

P. S. If nothing else, the matter made me realize I probably ought to take an inventory.

jeffnles1 10-30-2009 08:48 PM

I won't say how many rods I have for fear my wife may read this. Let's just say my rods are like my guitars. I have more equipment than I have talent. Like Jim said, one cannot have too many.

What do I fish most?

3wt Scott G2 8'4" I picked up from a guy on another forum for cheap (nearly unused, he was thinning the herd to buy a new 'boo rod)

4wt 9' Winston BIIt that I bought on a trip to Yellowstone with my son. This rod gets a lot of use.

5wt 9' Scott G2 I picked up cheap from a guy on Ebay

9' 7wt Redington my wife got for Christmas. Not sure, maybe LRO maybe Cabelas. not sure.

Of these that I use regularly, the Winston gets the most use followed by the 5wt Scott then the 3wt and last the 7wt.

Jeff

flyred06 10-30-2009 09:48 PM

Man I really like this post. I was feeling bad about how many I had and that I could not fish them all, but now I know I can still feed my addiction for more rods and not feel bad. I see a z axis in my future for sure.

EARTHWORX 10-31-2009 05:37 AM

( The flat-out truth of it is that fly rods are sort of like guns--you can never have too many of them. ) That Quote from Mr. Casada about sums it up. Where I keep most of mine are in the tubes but I do keep a 4wt, 6wt, and a 8wt and a half dozen or so coventional rod and reels rigged and ready in my office, wich happens to be a structure in my front yard 50 feet or so from the lake we live on, so when the drafting table or the telephone or the computer becomes too hectic, you just pic up a rod and head for the dock. A dozen or so bream on a 4wt will usually get you re-focused. :biggrin:
St. Croix and Sage are the majority.

Grumpy 10-31-2009 09:07 PM

Ask my wife or daughter:frown: i know 15 of them are class rods, never bothered counting the rest, i could use some more reels:biggrin:

Grumpy

BamaBill 10-31-2009 11:21 PM

White River Classic 4wt
St. Croix Imperial 5wt (my favorite)
Elkhorn Nomad 5wt
White River Hobbs Creek 6wt
Cabelas Traditional 6wt
Elkhorn Nomad 8wt

BlueRaiderFan 11-01-2009 09:37 AM

Mr. Casada, wow...that is impressive. Let me know if you run out of space!:biggrin: I will probably buy about 3 more rods and reels and call it quits. At least, that's the plan...

flyred06 11-01-2009 10:10 AM

blueraiderfan goodluck on buying just three more and quitting. I can not tell you the times I have said "oh this is the perfect rod, I will never buy another".:eek: If we could keep that promise then rod companies would close (glad we can't keep it) lol.:smile: I can name at least three more rods I want right now. Keep up the collection and enjoy the excitment of purchasing new rods. Its what keeps us going?;):smile: