Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Reel Question (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13236)

flyred06 11-26-2009 07:09 PM

Reel Question

Can anyone help me with information on which Ross reel would be the best between the vexsis or evolution for stripe bass fishing on the rivers and saltwater applications? I have look at both and read the info on both but am not educated enough on the differrences in the drags enough to know if one would be better than the other in these applications? I do know that I want a Ross but just not sure which one between these two. Christmas present from my in laws. I might also be looking at the ables but mainly right now the Ross.

flyred06 11-26-2009 07:14 PM

never mind on the Abels. I am staying with the Ross. Unless anyone know a reason I should not.

jeffnles1 11-27-2009 12:12 AM

Can't speak to the Vexis or the Evo. I have 3 Ross Rhythms and they are very similar to the Evo.

My Rhythms have never given me a moment's trouble. Never used them in salt but have on bass, bluegill, crappie, trout and some of them were pretty good size.

I fish them hard and they still look like brand new.

Jeff

CrossCreek 12-08-2009 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyred06 (Post 74534)
never mind on the Abels. I am staying with the Ross. Unless anyone know a reason I should not.

Go down to Frank's and take a real close look at the Lamson models....... that should be reason enough. :eek: ;)

MadisonBoats 12-08-2009 11:05 PM

Ever look at a Tibor Spey...? The Rolls Royce of reels for a man that has the best of everything...:biggrin:

flyred06 12-08-2009 11:45 PM

Those are awesome reels. However, a little out of my budjet.:frown: I have some nautilus reels and they are great. I have looked at the lamson reels also, just do not have any experience with them. I have Ross and have been satisfied so far. Just wondering about these other models of ross reels.

MadisonBoats 12-09-2009 12:26 PM

flyred06,

Sorry to sidetrack your question. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the Ross Brand. However; I enjoy reading the posts to get some insight on this brand.

The Principal 12-09-2009 04:16 PM

flyred06,
I have been looking at the nautilus reels, you say you like them?

Elk riverrat 12-10-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Principal (Post 74846)
flyred06,
I have been looking at the nautilus reels, you say you like them?

I like them so well, sold all my Ross reels, now only own and use "Seashells" as my fishing bud and I call them, he also has sold all his Tibors and replaced them with the NV models.

flyred06 12-10-2009 06:46 PM

All my nautilus reels are the larger ones. No. 8 and No. 12 for saltwater. I don't have any of the featherweights. My smaller reels are orvis and Ross. But for the larger reels I love the Nautilus.