Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Strangest Thing You've Ever Caught??? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13313)

Grampus 12-22-2009 08:57 PM

Strangest Thing You've Ever Caught???

Date: Sept 11, 2006

After walking down from the upper parking lot, I crossed over to the far side and began working my way up a small set of rapids. Dead drifting an egg bead beneath an indicator fishing for large 'bows, my indicator "ticked" slightly as it made its way along the current. I set the hook, but missed. Stripping my line in, I felt a slight weight on the end. Upon inspection, I discovered a Timex Expedition watch with a badly water-logged band. It was still ticking. Returning home, I bought a band and still wear it to this day.

Merry Christmas to All!

Grampus

Carolina Boy 12-22-2009 09:04 PM

Small Juvenile Bat, ended up killing it as it aparently locked into the motion of the leader/line and got all wrapped up in it, it was dark/dusk so I thought it was a fish and as I stripped and reeled I figured a bass/bream, nope so I was surprised when up comes a crazy bat flopping everywhere and well he's dead?

sammcdonald 12-22-2009 09:14 PM

hellbender.....caught below tremont institute on a weighted, slow drifted green weenie....was a shock...almost as big a shock as i had when one tried to climb up my pants leg while wet wading in khaki's in the same area....i tossed tht slippery thing 15 feet and then got out of the water to calm down

Speck Lover 12-22-2009 09:19 PM

A small water snake of some variety while I was using a popper fishing for smallmouth on the New River. I'm not sure who was more disturbed, me or the snake. Needless to say, I cut the leader.

silvercreek 12-22-2009 09:51 PM

Sea gull. They show up for the drake hatches out west. It bit me once hard enough to draw blood while I was trying to get the hook out of it.
I like your new Avatar Spec Lover. Can't imagine how you came up with it. Regards, Silvercreek

The Principal 12-22-2009 09:54 PM

Sam,
That literally added new meaning to the term wet wading didn't it?
It would have for me .

Jim Casada 12-22-2009 10:01 PM

Grampus et al.--It would be a toss-up, I guess, between two water dogs (hellbenders), one bat, and one snake. In each case I sacrificed a fly. Worse than any of those, however, was noticing a dead fish on the bottom in about 18 inches of water. I reached down to pick it up only to discover it was attached to a water dog. Talk about quick release!
Jim Casada

mayday 12-22-2009 10:34 PM

I caught a safe below the 321 bridge in 1987!

MikeStrength 12-22-2009 11:05 PM

Wow Mayday. What size tippet were you using?

nvr2L8 12-22-2009 11:18 PM

Fishing Lynn Camp Prong before it closed I hooked a dragon fly in mid-air. Took me a while to pull it in because it kept flying around with my line.