Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Abram's Creek (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13325)

BlueRaiderFan 12-27-2009 11:54 PM

Abram's Creek

Is it possible to fish from the trailhead toward the Big Shoe? Also, any fish in Forge Creek?

bones 12-28-2009 09:39 AM

Only fished Abrams once so no info there, everytime I've been down except once there has been higher than normal water. But Forge creek has plenty of fish and I was suprised at the average size. All the books I had read said they were average 5-8 inch fish. I caught at least a dozen a trip last fall that were between 9 and 12.

Hugh Hartsell 12-28-2009 10:07 AM

You Must be cautious

Dewayne,
It is very possible to fish Abrams Creek downstream if you chose to do so. You can use streamers very effectively and you can do downstream drifts and catch some fish. There are some problems to consider. You need to be very sure where the Horseshoe begins and have it marked with a piece of tape on a limb that is visible so that you will know exactly where to end the trip. Everyone knows how slick that Abrams Creek is, so fishing downstream is going to be a little bit riskier than fishing upstream.
My recomendation would be to fish it upstream, at least one time, from the point where the Horseshoe ends, up to the beginning of the trailhead. After becoming familiar with that stretch, you can negoitate the stream in the opposite direction and be a little safer and probably more effective if you choose to fish it that way. There are ledges and bluffs all the way down on one side or the other, so knowing when you need to cross the stream before hand will help a great deal. All that being said, consider safety above everything else and have a productive and safe trip when you try it.
Hugh

nvr2L8 12-28-2009 10:31 AM

I'm not familiar with Forge Creek. Where is it?

Kytroutbum 12-28-2009 11:11 AM

Abrahm's can be a dangerous place to fish. Its a beautiful- quieter place to fish but!! Look at the number of warnings commented in previous years and take them very serious. I would not fish too far down from the trailhead and would have a partner this time of the year. Have a set of warm dry clothes nearby. THIS IS THE SLICKEST STREAM I'VE EVER FISHED!!
In my opinion the fishing is just as good in other parts of the park since the trophy status was lifted.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

BlueRaiderFan 12-28-2009 11:12 AM

Mr. Hartsell,

How long to fish that stretch?

lauxier 12-28-2009 11:59 AM

abrams

may 16,1982-fished downstream a little ways--slipped and cracked my right elbow--it was slick,slick,slick--was by myself--that place was hairy--would not go alone---that darned elbow still gives me fits--abrams is a highly regarded fishery,its a beautiful stream --what i've seen of it--tony bennett left his heart in san francisco--i left my elbow in abrams creek.

BlueRaiderFan 12-28-2009 12:15 PM

Ha!:biggrin: I'm taking my sister. Looks like we may just hit a few spots from the bank! I'm just going to give her a casting/entomology lesson, so mabe we'll go to Metcalf Bottoms instead:eek: I would seriously like to fish it for a bit, even if it's from the bank.

MtnMike 12-28-2009 12:26 PM

BRF, It is about 1 mile from the trailhead downstream to the beginning of the Big Shoe. Most of that follows right by the trail with one small bend around a little ridge at about the 1/2 way point. So, time depends on your personal pace.
I have fished either the Big Shoe or the Little Shoe every spring for the past several year. And while I truly love the "experience" the fishing has been less than spectacular the last couple of years. Actually my first year '04 was maybe my best year and I had just started fly fishing.
Mike

Troutman 12-28-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan (Post 75356)
Ha!:biggrin: I'm taking my sister. Looks like we may just hit a few spots from the bank! I'm just going to give her a casting/entomology lesson, so mabe we'll go to Metcalf Bottoms instead:eek: I would seriously like to fish it for a bit, even if it's from the bank.

Fish the spring creek section instead. Not slick and better water temps this time of year. some nice flat water for a casting demo. will probably find a better diversity of bugs for the entomology lesson as well.