Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   New Map: Abrams, Eagle, Hazel & Twentymile Creeks & Tribs (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13465)

JoeFred 02-07-2010 12:18 AM

New Map: Abrams, Eagle, Hazel & Twentymile Creeks & Tribs

3/6/2010 UPDATE
The original Little Tennessee River Drainage system map has been split into "west" and "east" maps and are available for viewing.
See new threads for West Map and East Map .

Speck Lover 02-07-2010 09:51 AM

Thank you for the information JoeFred, the map is great!

GrouseMan77 02-07-2010 10:27 AM

I can't wait for JoeFred to get all of the maps finished!

Jim Casada 02-08-2010 11:44 AM

Fred--Once again, nice stuff. In addition to the streams you list in your header, you have mapped a bunch of others which hold trout, including some which are independent such as Chambers Creek, Parsons Branch, etc.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

nocona 02-11-2010 11:03 PM

jim casada, in your new book (i've flipped through it in the fly shop i help out at--the history is good) the map you include is out of date far as backcountry campsites go, several are closed for various reasons.

bredmon930 02-11-2010 11:57 PM

General question for JoeFred

Hi JoeFred. Ive been following all your maps and would first like to take the time to personally thank you for all your hard work and sharing it with us. I can't even begin to think about the countless hours you've spent staring at the computer screen and doing the research it takes to make these maps possible.

Second, I was just wondering if you had a degree or some sort of training in GIS. At 26 Ive decided to go back to school and am currently working on a 2 year degree in Env. Sci. Tech. At the school that I go to they offer a certificate in GIS and for me it would only mean that I would have to take 3 or 4 more classes to attain that. My question is if you do have a degree and have retained a career with it if you would be willing to converse in email so that I can ask you some questions about it and everything. Its been my experience that if you want to know about something then talk with someone that has experience in it. You can read all the books and do all the research you want, but often times you'll learn alot more, and get more straight forward info from that person in say an hour of talking (hypethetically speaking (sp?)) than you would from all the research.

Thanks
Brad Redmon

JoeFred 02-12-2010 05:50 PM

Brad, thank you for your interest in the maps. No, I do not have a degree or formal training in GIS, although I find it to be an intriguing science. My brother was a pioneer in GIS using it in managing tens of thousands of acres of Georgia pulp woodlands. My part-time day job is mechanical engineering. I'm simply a self-taught graphic illustrator and cartographer wannabe. Others on this message board may have some insights. Also you might be able to hook up with someone on the GIS area of CartoTalk , a forum for cartography and design. I wish you well in pursuing this.

JF