Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Question for Waterwolf (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13658)

Rodonthefly 03-26-2010 01:27 PM

Question for Waterwolf

How many different types of midges do you fish. I saw you said tie with V rib . do you fish zibras aswell? And if your willing to offer to share whats in your box what sizes do you fish ie. 18-22 and what colors?

The reason I ask is I think I'm getting to carried away with my midges tying things differently, don't know if its really nessary.

Thanks and others feel free to answer as well.

Thanks

Rodney

No Hackle 03-26-2010 02:51 PM

I have one pattern that I make in 3 different colors, and these are in order that I use first to last olive,black and brown. All tied from 16- 24. Yes I have red, cream etc. as well as paterns as small as 32( just to see if I can) But day in and day out I'll start with an olive 18 and probaly wont change all day until it tears up,which is good or I loose it to a fish.I hope I didnt take up someone elses space but this game isnt as hard as it sounds. Keep it simple and show that fish your fly as many times as you can, He'll take.
Lynn

Rodonthefly 03-26-2010 03:09 PM

Do you use beads? if so what is your fav color

No Hackle 03-26-2010 03:49 PM

Black5/64 tungsten and smaller

waterwolf 03-26-2010 11:07 PM

My box is so simple it is laughable. I really carry 2 different patterns to the Clinch. I carry PT's, all with beads of different colors, and in 2 sizes 16's and 18's. There is a small window when 16's work well, and that corresponds with sulfurs. Other then that time period, 18's are the rule.

On the midges, very simple, I carry one. A dark olive v-rib midge with a black bead tied on an 18 TMC 2488. Those who used to buy them at the Creel when I worked there, might remember them. I tied them for Scott, to make a little gas money to get to the river. The pattern originated from Scott I believe, and it was just a simpler way to tie an effective fly invented by Ron Whaley, eons ago.

I firmly believe I or anyone else can carry those flies any day of the year to the Clinch and out fish any other pattern which someone might be using. Dead of winter, through the heat of summer.

All the other patterns can be left at the house, sure you can catch fish on them, but why fight with the madness when it is totally unnecessary?

ChemEAngler 03-27-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterwolf (Post 78601)
My box is so simple it is laughable. I really carry 2 different patterns to the Clinch. I carry PT's, all with beads of different colors, and in 2 sizes 16's and 18's. There is a small window when 16's work well, and that corresponds with sulfurs. Other then that time period, 18's are the rule.

On the midges, very simple, I carry one. A dark olive v-rib midge with a black bead tied on an 18 TMC 2488. Those who used to buy them at the Creel when I worked there, might remember them. I tied them for Scott, to make a little gas money to get to the river. The pattern originated from Scott I believe, and it was just a simpler way to tie an effective fly invented by Ron Whaley, eons ago.

I firmly believe I or anyone else can carry those flies any day of the year to the Clinch and out fish any other pattern which someone might be using. Dead of winter, through the heat of summer.

All the other patterns can be left at the house, sure you can catch fish on them, but why fight with the madness when it is totally unnecessary?

Wolf,

My Clinch box is very similar to yours, just a couple differences:
BHPT (16 - 18 ) all with a black bead
Zebra midges (18 - 22) in red & black
Olive Stretch Tubing Midge (no name) (18 - 22)
Brassies (18 - 20)
Olive/Black woolly buggers (6 - 10) tied using TMC 777SP and tungsten conehead

That is it for the Clinch, and those flies will catch fish year round. I have tried making it more confusing over the years by making various patterns that mimic the same thing, but have learned that those basic patterns work great.

psnapp 03-27-2010 02:45 PM

WW - I didn't realize you sold your patterns at The Creel. I used to be in there at least once a week before Scott called it quits. Did a lot of business there, and Scott always did me right. We've probably met at the TC. Maybe we'll cross paths on the Clinch sometime.

Phil

Rodonthefly 03-28-2010 11:14 AM

Jim,

I made it a point to only fish those two flys yesterday, to see how many I could catch. I started out fishing below the weir on the shoals. And was killing them. Fishing down river as you stated, them some A holes in two canoes floated right in to my pool and got out and started fishing. I got pissed left and went above the weir and fished managed a few there befor heaing home.

Those two paterns seemed to work well. With those two patterns, are 18s the smallest you go? Seems to me the midges are smaller then that.

waterwolf 03-28-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodonthefly (Post 78640)
Jim,

I made it a point to only fish those two flys yesterday, to see how many I could catch. I started out fishing below the weir on the shoals. And was killing them. Fishing down river as you stated, them some A holes in two canoes floated right in to my pool and got out and started fishing. I got pissed left and went above the weir and fished managed a few there befor heaing home.

Those two paterns seemed to work well. With those two patterns, are 18s the smallest you go? Seems to me the midges are smaller then that.

Midges go down to dust size, but there is NEVER any reason to fish anything smaller then an 18. NEVER! The juice isn't worth the squeeze, again. Small hooks won't hardly hold in a fishes mouth, and a little larger fly draws more attention.

Waterborn 03-29-2010 07:28 AM

I wish someone would explain that to the fish...I can't seem to keep them off my #22...bizarre...