Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Greenbrier (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13664)

ahighlan 03-28-2010 08:22 PM

Greenbrier

Headed to the park later this week. One area I was wanting to hit for the first time is Greenbrier. Any tips? Will Ramsey Prong be too cold? I know it is supposed to be pretty warm this week, so maybe that will help. From what I gather the area is pretty rugged.

tjw37909 03-28-2010 09:12 PM

It is really rugged. I wouldn't recommend getting far from the road alone. Huge rocks to climb over.

David Knapp 03-28-2010 09:14 PM

Personally I would stay in the lower elevations for now...not that you can't catch fish up higher but the hatches are best down low right now and this is prime time to catch better than average fish on dries...

Kytroutbum 03-29-2010 08:36 AM

My favorite part of the park!! Just watch your step and don't get in too deep any place out there. Sections of Greenbrair are a SLICK as Abrahms. I'd try Porter's and the small streams crossing the road heading toward Ramsey's.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

tjw37909 03-29-2010 07:07 PM

I read a lot and hear a lot about there being browns in Greenbrier (MPLPR) lower portions. Can anyone say what is considered the lower portion and how far up the browns go if they are still there?

tennswede 03-29-2010 09:25 PM

tjw37909,

I have fished inside the park on Greenbriar fairly regularily since 1994. I have spent most of my time upstream of the picnic area. I have never heard of or even seen anyone catching a brown during these years on that stream. I suspect outside of the park, it's a possibility. I would be interested in hearing from someone who have caught a brown in the last 20 years or so on that stream. I'm afraid if they are there, it will be far and few between. I really is a stream with high gradient and cold water, inside the park. More than likely if there are browns they will be way down Pittman Ctr, and Richardson cove. Just my hypothesis.

tjw37909 03-29-2010 10:05 PM

That is what I thought until an older gentleman I know showed me one on his wall and said it came from Porters about ten years ago, and he would not lie about it. It wasn't a small one. Maybe/hopefully there are a few big grandaddy's still hiding in the big rocks up there.

JoeFred 03-31-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plateau Angler (Post 78683)
Personally I would stay in the lower elevations for now...not that you can't catch fish up higher but the hatches are best down low right now and this is prime time to catch better than average fish on dries...

ahighlan, I echo PA's thinking. For my 65th birthday I hiked Porters Creek Trail to Campsite 31 and back today scouting Porters Creek. Although I saw a few safely accessible points to the stream up high, there are far more opportunities to get to some good runs and pools in Porters from the bridge at confluence with Middle Prong up to below the trailhead gate. There were bugs galore, but I didn't fish. I'm waiting on my senior citizens license to come from Nashville.

Now... where did I put that Epsom Salts?:smile:

JF