Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   What Flies? What Creek? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13698)

gvhammond 04-05-2010 08:31 AM

What Flies? What Creek?

We are up here from Florida ready for a week on some serious trout fishing. Caught some bass in Marion Lake yesterday at our Cabin here off Lyons Springs Road. What are some good spots to fish this week? Thanks. Gary

Carlito 04-05-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gvhammond (Post 78956)
We are up here from Florida ready for a week on some serious trout fishing. Caught some bass in Marion Lake yesterday at our Cabin here off Lyons Springs Road. What are some good spots to fish this week? Thanks. Gary

Swing by Little River Outfitters and they will set you up with some good flies and point you in the direction of a good stream. I always enjoy fishing along the road heading up towards Tremont.

ahighlan 04-05-2010 06:07 PM

Quill Gordons and Blue Quills were hatching at the end of last week when I was there. I had good luck with size 12 or 14 Quill Gordons on WPLP just in and above Sugarlands.

txbrown 04-05-2010 06:51 PM

I have been doing well all weekend on #16 parachute adams. It's my favorite mountain fly. Doesn't look a lot like anything but looks close enough to a lot of things.

JoelO 04-05-2010 07:08 PM

Ed,

Wish I could meet you guys this week. You're gonna have a blast with that crew. Dad, brother and I are heading to the Tellico or Elkmont (we haven't decided yet) the last week of April. Turkey hunting this weekend.

Joel

gvhammond 04-05-2010 08:04 PM

Thanks everyone. Did it...all set for for fishing.

txbrown 04-06-2010 10:40 AM

Joel,

That's too bad about not making it there this weekend. good luck turkey hunting

pmike 04-06-2010 01:27 PM

All ya need to do is...

...drive up the road and into the park on Lyon Springs Rd. It will take you into Metcalf Bottoms which is one of my favorite areas to fish. As to flies, I like to use a dry/dropper rig with either a Caddis on top or a Hi Viz Adams, sz 14 or 16. I use Copper Johns or BHPT or something similar on a dropper.

Tightlines from fellow Floridian :)

gvhammond 04-06-2010 05:12 PM

pmike,
Yes, I've had good luck at Metcalf Bottoms, it is only a few miles from my cabin. It got a little crowded today.

Dukee 04-07-2010 10:14 PM

Drove through Metcalfe today around noon and saw several fishing. I have been in the park for the last 4 days. Day 1 on Little River below Elkmont, saw several rise and a few bumped my quill gordon, but no takers. Better luck above the campgrouond with not a single fisherman from the first bridge all the way up to Site 24, and the weather and water were great ( maybe the water was a little cool ).
Caught my biggest Park Bow' to date on the WPLP yesterday afternoon on a #12 Tan Caddis, 12 inches and all fight. I was about 1/2 mile above Sugarlands. The bows were hitting dries hard all afternoon. Gotta figure out a way to get back in May.