Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   The Adventure Continues (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13722)

bones 04-09-2010 09:32 PM

The Adventure Continues

Went out again today. Left the house around one and hit an overlooked creek, Fountain Creek, smack dab in the middle of Co. 24. 24 is a busy thoroughfare coming out of Co. Springs into the Mtns. I know why I usually leave in the A.M. though. Forgot the cell and my camera, my head is in too many places after 0900. My quest for brookies continues, wild small stream cutts would be good too.

Today was not a loss though, far from it. Tore into a ton of brownies. They were anywhere from 8 in to 14 in. Still can't get over the fact this creek had some bigger fish in it. Fountain Creek where I was fishing is hardly more than a ditch between Woodland Park and Colorado Springs. I was expecting 3 to 6 inch fish. Had the 1 wt strung up when the first of the better fish took me over a plunge pool and into a big deadfall in the water, back to the truck for the 3wt glass rod. Lost count at 20, fish rising to bushy dries everywhere. Fly of the day was a yella stimi again, had dropped a CJ off it but most of the water was way skinny; non typical brownie water to say the least. Two of the biggest came on the dropper in deeper plunge pools. The largest came on the stimi in some super skinny water. Had some other fly guys pullover and gawk while unhooked the big one, they were on their way back from 11 Mile Canyon on the South Platte. The look on their face was priceless. Hope my overlooked water stays that way. Them fellas that stopped looked real techy and not likely to fish such small water; just hope they don't go spreading it around.

Beaver Creek I thought I was on yesterday turned out to be Four Mile Creek. After speaking with the folks at a local flyshop I was a valley or two over from where I thought I was. Thank the Lord Co. marks public land pretty good, so I Know I was'nt tresspassing. Oh well, kinda disappointed in my navigational abilities, after all I am a Scout. But I did find new to me water and caught fish. Will try and find my intended target another day.

Have a Good 'Urn,
boneshttp://www.coloradofisherman.com/for...ify_inline.gif

Kytroutbum 04-09-2010 11:18 PM

The two fishermen remind me of folks that speed through the forests surrounding Yellowstone crossing excellent water to fish the crowded Big Name waters. I had two guys in our campground for a week, last August who had to drive into the park everyday. As camp host, I got to talk with them and made some "Outside of the Park" suggestions for their last day. Later that evening, they dropped by and thanked me- Best day of their trip.
I have caught two 16 inchers and had a 24+ inch Bow or Cutt come up snub my hopper last summer, all less than 50 yards from a road leading to the YNP. I very seldom had to share "my water" with others.
In my 61 years of life, I've found streams written about in books and magazines usually don't live up to expectations.

Speck Lover 04-10-2010 06:36 AM

Enjoyed reading your post bones, thanks!

Tiger fly 04-12-2010 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kytroutbum (Post 79151)
The two fishermen remind me of folks that speed through the forests surrounding Yellowstone crossing excellent water to fish the crowded Big Name waters. I had two guys in our campground for a week, last August who had to drive into the park everyday. As camp host, I got to talk with them and made some "Outside of the Park" suggestions for their last day. Later that evening, they dropped by and thanked me- Best day of their trip.
I have caught two 16 inchers and had a 24+ inch Bow or Cutt come up snub my hopper last summer, all less than 50 yards from a road leading to the YNP. I very seldom had to share "my water" with others.
In my 61 years of life, I've found streams written about in books and magazines usually don't live up to expectations.

You may be talking about the Gallatin going towards West Yellowstone. I LOVE fishing that stretch! Last year I saw one group of two anglers on that stretch plus my wife and I. The whole time! Then you'd get to the park and there'd be 50 people on two miles of the Firehole.

PeteCz 04-12-2010 01:45 PM

Bones, How much longer

Are you going to be out there?

WVBrookie 04-12-2010 09:04 PM

If you're going to be out there beyond runoff, the two best brookie streams I have fished ANYWHERE in the US are on the west side of RMNP.

Also, you are only a couple of hours away from another small gem I found. Grape Creek below Deweese Reservoir is amazing - trout literally stacked on top of each other.

Chris