Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Shaking & howdying with Sam (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13883)

Jim Casada 05-12-2010 07:47 PM

Shaking & howdying with Sam

This past weekend, while teaching a two-day fly-fishing class at Sugarlands as part of the Univ. of Tennessee's Smoky Mountain Field School, something I've had the pleasure of doing for perhaps two decades, I enjoyed a special privilege.

I was delivering a couple of cases of my book on the Park to the Visitor Center at Park Headquarters, and who should help me but a regular from this forum, Sam MacDonald. He unloaded a case of the books (no small undertaking since a case weighs 69 pounds, then happened to look at the books in it. He said: "Are you Jim?" and I confessed as much even as I noticed his name tag (he works in the Visitor Center).

We shook and howdied like two long-lost compatriots, with this forum being the link that connected us. As those who pay attention will know, Sam is a grand source of information on the lure and lore of the Park, and it was a delight to meet him.

I hope to have similar experiences, many times over, this weekend at Troutfest. Meanwhile, I just wanted to say that we all owe Paula, Byron, Daniel and the good folks at LRO a tip of the fishing hat for providing this means of interchange and sharing of information.

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

sammcdonald 05-16-2010 04:16 PM

Jim, thanks for the kind words. i try to preserve and protect the heritage of the prk and it's people.

Vern 05-17-2010 07:49 PM

Jim you hit the nail in the head, I also have met Sam, I think I own about 1/2 the books from the book store. and a few others. I know that Byron and crew set this up as a revenue generator, but it has become a place where you can develop relationships. I just posted about Gaintfish and the advice the board give him several years ago. I am a very protective dad and he was not allowed to use message board as a young teen other than this one, there for a while there was this young kid posting that was very entertaining, one day i went to the young posters profile and notice it had a picture of my son fly fishing. I could not figure how this kid got my sons picture. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed. Then the light bulb clicked Gaintfish was my son. After fixing a few security he was given the freedom to post as much as he wants. But as he got older and I let him have a face book account, Friends and girls became funner than LRO.
I feel that through the board and the shop I have developed a relationship with Byron, Paula, Daniel and crew. and now Byron Has helped to make troutfest what it is, which is not only a fund-raiser but another way for the fly-fishing community to create new relationships.

Byron and crew has done way more than offer us a fine fly shop. he has helped was create a great fly fishing community. One where a overprotective father feels save to have his young son be a part of. He is also fun in Bear camp!

Dawgvet 05-18-2010 12:13 PM

Here, here! I totally agree with Jim's sentiments. This has always been a valued source of information and a civil place to meet others with a similar appreciation for the splendor and challenges of chasing trout in our Southern Appalachians. A heartfelt thanks to all the LRO folks who make it possible.
Jedidiah Green