Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   North Georgia Trout (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13887)

hw3 05-13-2010 02:12 PM

North Georgia Trout

Am heading to Dahlonega, GA in early JUN to meet up with some 509th ABN buddies, and am looking to camp for a few days middle of the week and do some fishing in the area. What I have seen so far leads me to Dukes Ck area, but it looks as if there are a number of other places to pursue the wily trout. Used to Smokey Mtns, and small streams/trout not an issue. Do not have to meet friends until FRI anoon, and plan now on arriving late TUE evening for a motel stay, and camp WED & THU with fishing until noon or so FRI. Do not have to stay in Dahlonega for fishing; only have to be there FRI evening, so fishing is priority for TUE thru FRI morning. Any and all suggestions re: places to stay, camp, and fish are greatly appreciated. Thank you for your advice.
Skip Watson

Kytroutbum 05-13-2010 08:01 PM

Nice talking with you. Sorry we could talk more but I'm on the road WEst tomorrow at 5:00am. Lets get together in October. Enjoy north Georgia, It'll be warmer than Wyoming!

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

CB86 05-13-2010 08:20 PM

North GA

I live in North GA so I might be able to help you out. Dukes Creek is my favorite stream in the state. It is the best public trophy stream in Georgia in my opinion. Small stream loaded with fish. It has a reputation of being tough. The fish are stream-born, so there not big dumb stockers. My first trip there I landed 3 bows over 20" on a size 22 midge pattern. It is only open for fishing on Wed, Saturday, and Sunday. You also have to make reservations, but there is no fee to fish. You have the Toccoa River in Blue Ridge which is an excellent tailwater fishery, and Helen (where Dukes is at) isnt too far away. Both these areas are pretty close to the Dahlonaga. Both areas have more to offer, those are just my favorites. Not real sure as far as camping goes. North Georgia Trout Online is a good site with loads of info. Some of those guys have some great information on camping, hiking, and fishing.
http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/forum/index.php

Hoped some of this helps out. Good luck!

Labrador 05-14-2010 09:44 AM

one thing about Dukes is that it's 100% barbless. You need to leave all barbed flies at the hotel, because they will fine you if they find any on you (even if you are not using them) and they check. So smash down some barbs if you have barbed flies and throw them in a special dukes box.

CB86 05-14-2010 10:52 AM

Thanks Labrador, I forgot to mention that, and yes they do check.

purple squirrel 05-17-2010 05:54 AM

I have fished in that area only twice and have limited knowledge but if you are willing to drive a little farther I would recommend you try the Upper Chattahoochie River campground in the forrest just north of Helen. I had the 34 site campground to myself last July (a Mon-Wed stay) and the Upper Chattahoochie River runs right next to the campsites, and it is skinny water ;). Jimmy Harris at the Unicoi Fly Shop pointed me in that direction and gave me some good pointers for the area as well.
River view from camp site
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...0713092016.jpg
stream improvements by NGTO and local TU chapter
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/w...0714090958.jpg
Good luck, Enjoy and post a follow up report when you return :biggrin:

hw3 06-24-2010 04:08 PM

North Georgia Trip

First, thanks to all who responded to my request for information on N GA. Made the trip 1-6 JUN, and fished 2-5 JUN. Camped at Toccoa Valley Campground and started to fish a-noon of WED 2 JUN. Water was slightly muddy, but rained like the proverbial cow most of the night and blew it out. Fished Noontoola Creek THU, and did OK for combat fishing. Just like the Smokies, small streams, smaller natives, etc. FRI hit Cooper's Creek, and also did OK, same type of fishing. Headed to Dahlonega FRI a-noon for a mini-reunion with 509th Parachute Infantry fellow officers, and did get to US Army Mountain Ranger Camp where we all did the 2d Phase of RGR School in 1969. Got to fish SAT on Waters Creek, but full of campers and bait fishers with strings of undersize fish, even tho is restricted stream.

Georgia is serious about trout fishing. GDNR publishes "Trout Streams of Georgia," the by far best state produced map on fishing I have ever seen, and it is full of stuff. If even thinking of going there get a map. Unicoi Outfitters in both Blue Ridge and Helen were very helpful; not quite LRO, but then again, who is? Roads fair in the area; camping seems adequate; people friendly, and lots of streams. Not sure where all the fish are, but also seems to be a lot of info on the internet. Smokies are closer for me, but will not rule out heading back to meet an Atlanta buddy again. Skip Watson

Owl 06-25-2010 05:36 PM

hw3, sorry i missed your original post.

I'm thinking that if you saw hordes of people on "waters" with stringers of trout, you were actually on Dick's Creek, below ( or above?) where Waters comes in. Unless they've chanced the rules up there, you used to have to check into and out of that stream, and it was watched closer than Dukes ever is. . . I haven't been there since about '2001 though so I dunno. But what you described sounds alot like the normal scene on Dick's creek.

As for the toot, most of the fish are small. However, rest assured you were walking in a stream where the largest wild fish on public land in GA live. The fish in Dukes are stream-born, but I believe they are also fed each week. Same with Waters though, I haven't fished Dukes in almost a decade, so things may have changed there - but I don't see the fish getting to trophy size without supplemental feeding.

Again, wish I would have caught you sooner on this. I'd have gladly PM'd you some other creeks to try in the hot June weather.

And thank you Sir, for your service to your Country!