Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Any Advice on Noland? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13894)

ifish4wildtrout 05-15-2010 04:36 AM

Any Advice on Noland?

I'm planning a back packing trip to Noland in a few weeks. I was thinking about staying at #64. I've never been there. I searched Noland and only found 2 threads.

Any advice on the fishing and the stream is appreciated. Thanks.

old tom 05-15-2010 07:21 AM

If you're going solo, be careful. The creek bed is slick as owl snot. Easy hike in and be sure to look around for old home sites, particularlly in the Solola Valley area where you'll be camping.

ifish4wildtrout 05-15-2010 05:07 PM

Solo as of right now. I'll be sure to take extra care while wading, thank for the heads up.

How's the fishing there? I have heard and read that it is decent but can't seem to find as much info on Noland as I can on many of the other streams.

old tom 05-15-2010 06:06 PM

I didn't answer that part of your question because I haven't fished it this year. I've never done great on Noland, even up as far as Solola Valley. Usually a few, but never a lot. However this just might be the year. Everywhere in the park seems to be fishing very well right now. Trail a SMBSH behind the dry fly of your choice and be ready.

Oldman 05-16-2010 03:24 PM

Mike, you are welcome to borrow my book by Don Kirk. I have yet to find any stream that is less productive than what he rates it as. When you going? Its about smallie time on the New. Your going to have to go with me. Bring your cooler, car and flyrod I got the rest.

ifish4wildtrout 05-16-2010 03:56 PM

Smallmouth sound like fun.

I have changed my mind and am hitting Deep Creek instead. Heading in 5/31 and staying 2-4 nights, just depends on when I feel like coming back to "the world". Planning to stay at #59. Will likely day hike and fish much farther up and explore as much as I can.

Oldman 05-16-2010 04:06 PM

It will be crowded there. It should thin out quickly after Memorial Day. Good Luck.

Jim Casada 05-17-2010 07:35 PM

Ifish4wildtrout--Do you have my book? There is a detailed chapter on Noland Creek, as is true of all major drainages in the Park. I don't know campsites by numbers and, just having gotten back from Troutfest, don't have time to look up #64. That being said, I would suggest staying at Bearpen Branch (the first site on Noland). It is a cozy little place, has a table (or did last time I was there), and is just far enough off the main trail (actually a road) to suit my taste. The really good fishing on Noland begins right where it is located. Noland has historically, for me, been more of a quantity than a quality stream (lots of small trout), but I suspect it will mirror most of the Park waters this year and carry larger than usual fish. One real plus is that the rainbows in Noland are, on the whole, as vividly colored as any you will find anywhere.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

ifish4wildtrout 05-17-2010 08:13 PM

I do have your book and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it. As a matter of fact, I just put it down a moment ago after finishing the small chapter on trophy trout.

#64 is Mill Creek site.

I think I will give Noland a try some time, but have decided to camp and fish Deep Creek on this next outing.