Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troutfest (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   My 2010 Troutfest (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13915)

GrouseMan77 05-19-2010 09:51 PM

My 2010 Troutfest

didn't get to attend the Troutfest banquet this year and the checking account breathed a small sigh of relief.

On Saturday I spent the morning watching two outstanding gentlemen tie flies. Ray Ball seems to be a terrific person and is always entertaining. He ties a better looking Adams than you will ever see in a catalog. Walter Babb has an incredible amount of knowledge about fly patterns. Mr. Babb tied one fly that he said probably hadn't been seen in 40 years. I've got some pictures and wrote down the recipe. I would share it with everyone but I seemed to have misplaced it. :p I got some great pictures of Mr. Babb and Mr. Ball at the vice. I will email Byron and ask if he thinks that they would mind me sharing them.

After Mr. Babb finished tying I stood around talking to another fine guy, Steve Yates (aka Flyman). Flyman and I talked for a long time about fishing, fly tying and all kinds of stuff. I really admire the work that he has submitted to the LR Journal and wanted to see him tie. He wasn't scheduled until Sunday morning so I would have to try and make it back.

Spent Saturday afternoon volunteering. Peddling t-shirts and books is pretty tiring but I got to meet some great folks. Hope to be the first to sign up for something next year.

Sunday morning the wife and I made the trek back to Townsend. Flyman had already started tying but I got to watch for about two hours. I was very impressed and his comedy routine was also pretty good. To say that I learned something would be an understatement. I got a couple pictures of Flyman at the vise but I think he cracked my camera lens. :rolleyes:

After he finished tying we sat around and talked a little longer. Plateau Angler was also at the table. Flyman asked PA what he was driving these days. PA answered him, Flyman looked me, grinned, and said now we know where to start looking for the big trout.

Got a call yesterday from the folks at Project Healing Waters. The guy on the other end said I did not win the Grand Prize (a fishing trip with Lefty Kreh) but did win a guided trip and nights lodging on the South Holston. Not a bad weekend.

Byron Begley 05-22-2010 09:09 PM

Hey Grouse,

You saw some excellent fly tying from the masters. And you won a trip. Your work in the Troutfest store paid off big time. We did over $8,000 in the store I think. Great job. You are right about Ray, Steve (Flyman) and Walter. They are great people and their knowledge about patterns and tying is way beyond most of us. PA is the man, everyone knows that. I'm glad you had a great time and thank you for being a volunteer. We'll be glad to have you back next year.

Byron

flyman 05-26-2010 10:12 AM

As usual I had fun at Troutfest! To me it's not the exhibits, new toys, or shiny objects that make it what it is; it is the people coming together for a good cause. People like Byron and Paula, Walter, Ray, and many others that I meet every year are what makes the event for me, it's like a family home coming without the fights, handcuffs, and cops having to be called:smile:

Jason,
It was nice to meet you and your lovely wife. I don't know what you mean about a comedy routine, I was on my best behavior all weekend.:biggrin: Life is short, even on the longest day, take time to live and enjoy ever minute of it