Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Backcountry (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   First time fishing GSMNP 6/20 - 6/21 (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14032)

summertime14 06-13-2010 10:21 PM

First time fishing GSMNP 6/20 - 6/21

So next weekend I have sites 23 and then 24 reserved. Never fished in the park so just looking for some pointers. I still consider myself a novice only been casting a five weight for a couple years, and mostly learning by myself. Never been up to the park fishing just a couple times in backcountry trips in the last few years. Anyways, trying to read as much as I can in the forum, but just looking for some advice on flies, tippet, and any different tactics I should try. Thanks.

duckypaddler 06-13-2010 10:27 PM

Your 5 wt will be fine

I think you can get away with 5x tippet in the park most the time. Water may be low and fish are spooky to begin with, so stay low and don't wear vol orange. I get camoed out, but that may be a bit extreme. You have reserved some nice sites. Keep an eye out for bears as a few unbehaved ones tend to like 24

Crockett 06-13-2010 11:07 PM

Duckypaddler is right on in camo'ing up, wear earth tone clothes dark green or brown at the very least. Move and fish in an upstream direction if possible using big rocks and things to hide behind. Almost all the bigger fish I catch come in spots where they can't see me and I can't see them ie I am behind a rock or standing in a plunge pool fishing a pool higher up than me. Don't stand over a pool casting into it unless no other option. Casting isn't as big of a deal and lots of time in the park I am just "flipping" my line out about 8-10 feet or simply dapling the fly out into the water. The more you cast the more time you will be caught in the trees or rhodo. After fishing a pool I will look upstream and spot the next deep run or pool and then immediately start looking at the terrain just below it to find the best way to approach and best spot to fish it that offers the most concealment. Sometimes once I get near the pool I will be sitting on the ground as the lower you are the less likely they are to see you. You will have a lot of fun.

Since you will be at cs 23 check out this thread where Fred Turner has a little snippet of one of his great maps that just happens to show several of the streams near 23 and the species of trout in them:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=14025

ps I will be staying at Elmont front country campground spot F9 (very close to the bridge over the river) on Friday and Saturday night so stop by and say hi. Will be staying there with my family and Mundele who is also a member of this board to check out the fireflies and maybe do a little fishing.

Adam

summertime14 06-14-2010 07:46 PM

Thanks for the input guys. We will be staying in the smokemont campground on saturday night then 23 on sunday night and 24 on monday night, then a night at a hotel with a hot shower and bed on tuesday in gatlinburg. We waited to long to get a place at elkmont. Its our anniversary and we had other plans and this was plan B. So if I am going to be near elkmont on saturday I'll see if I can stop by and say hi Adam. Are those maps with the trout species available for purchase?

Mac 06-15-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crockett (Post 81763)
Duckypaddler is right on in camo'ing up, wear earth tone clothes dark green or brown at the very least. Move and fish in an upstream direction if possible using big rocks and things to hide behind. Almost all the bigger fish I catch come in spots where they can't see me and I can't see them ie I am behind a rock or standing in a plunge pool fishing a pool higher up than me. Don't stand over a pool casting into it unless no other option. Casting isn't as big of a deal and lots of time in the park I am just "flipping" my line out about 8-10 feet or simply dapling the fly out into the water. The more you cast the more time you will be caught in the trees or rhodo. After fishing a pool I will look upstream and spot the next deep run or pool and then immediately start looking at the terrain just below it to find the best way to approach and best spot to fish it that offers the most concealment. Sometimes once I get near the pool I will be sitting on the ground as the lower you are the less likely they are to see you. You will have a lot of fun.

Since you will be at cs 23 check out this thread where Fred Turner has a little snippet of one of his great maps that just happens to show several of the streams near 23 and the species of trout in them:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=14025

ps I will be staying at Elmont front country campground spot F9 (very close to the bridge over the river) on Friday and Saturday night so stop by and say hi. Will be staying there with my family and Mundele who is also a member of this board to check out the fireflies and maybe do a little fishing.

Adam

Crockett,

That was one of the best example on how to hunt/fish for the Smoky mountain trout i have read.

Exactly how I like to "try" and do it. I will recommend some of my new fishing buddys to read your explanation.

Thanks