Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Jake's Creek 07/02 (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14165)

NDuncan 07-12-2010 01:40 PM

Jake's Creek 07/02

I fished Jake's Creek above the Meigs Mountain trail on 07/02. Even though Elkmont was packed with people, there wasn't any other cars parked at the end of the road. I had gotten a later start than I had hoped to, and made the decision to to try it out once i got to the Elkmont turn off. I hit the water at 9:30, at which I realized that when I had rigged up my rod at home, I had tied on a #12 Parachute March Brown, instead of the yellow stimi which I had meant to. I didn't want to change flies just yet, so went ahead and started fishing the first pool I got to. First cast, caught this guy.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSCF3347-1.jpg

After that, the fishing turned off for a while, with the fish ignoring everything I threw at them as I cycled through my flies - mainly sticking to the yellow patterns until I went back to basics with a parachute adams. The first cast with this produced a swat followed by several rises and refusals. I switched the Female parachute adams, and I started getting strikes. I soon caught this pudgy fellow:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSCF3348-1.jpg

Which was later followed by this one:

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/a...DSCF3349-1.jpg

Shortly after releasing him, I got a nice little tangle in leader. (still getting used to the tighter casting conditions) I had been fishing over a boulder into a plunge pool, and I sat down on a rock with my back to it, looking downstream and getting my line untangled. About the time I finished doing this, I heard some noise coming from upstream, my head was just barely above the boulder I was leaned against, and when I turned a looked, I saw a bear, probably in the 18mon-2 year age, running from the woods, full speed and into the creek not 10 yards upstream from me. Fortunately, when he reached the creek, he turned and ran upstream, never looked in my direction, still going full speed, splashing in and out of the creek as he went. I figured that would put the fishing down for a while. I barely had enough time to process what had just happened or contemplate WHY a bear would be charging full speed through the woods, since he obviously wasn't chasing anything, when I heard a much louder crunch in the woods and I saw the tops saplings shaking in the direction he had just come from, and some of which I could hear snapping and see get flattened, just before the angry, full grown bear came charging into the creek at full speed (again splashing into the creek about 10 yards ahead of me) and took off after him. I don't think either of them saw me, because I was pretty well concealed by the boulder I was behind. It was at this point I realized that I hadn't told my wife or anyone else where I was going to be fishing that day, because I had made the decision at the last minute. Since I didn't know where the bears were upstream or how far they had gone, and since it was getting warm (it was at about 12:00) I decided it would be best to call it a day.

Shaggy 07-12-2010 04:35 PM

WOW! I have never seen a bear while fishing in the park and cannot imagine how I would react to a bear running at full speed in my direction, let alone 2 bears! I may need to change my undies after that!:eek:

pineman19 07-12-2010 06:10 PM

I agree on the running bear part. Have been very close to a bear once, but it was moving slowly down Greenbriar. I saw a big bear on the trail to Forney Creek once, it was around 75 yards away from me and a girlfriend, had two young of the year cubs in tow. It either smelled or saw us and booked straight up the adjacent ridge after the cubs took refuge first. Seeing how fast that big bear could move up a 30-40 degree slope was humbling to say the least. Made me realize that if a bear decided to make a move on me, that there would be little I could do, but defend myself as best possible.

Neal

nvr2L8 07-12-2010 08:52 PM

NDuncan,

Bears aside, those are some of the plumpest rainbows I've seenin a while. Really nice catches. I've got a small supply of female PAs so I'll keep them in mind next time I'm up. Thanks for the report and glad you made it back safely. Good lesson on leaving notes, though.

The Principal 07-13-2010 12:14 PM

Does it count if you nearly step on a sleeping Griz in the bush? That happened to me
last week on the upper Brooks river in Alaska. I had slipped climbing a bank and had fallen
a little bit behind my buddies. I heard one of them say theres a bear. They had gotten
by him. I was still about even. He woke up and he and I were eye to eye bearly 10 ft apart. He stood up and wolfed at me and my buddies and the guide started yelling at him
the guide started towards him with Bear spray aimed at him. Lucky he looked at the others when they started yelling and took a step or two back which allowed me to get by him. Old Paul was wondering if he was going to made it to 61 in Feb. for a few seconds. Lesson learned: Let sleeping Grizs lie and don't be last in line in the Alaskian bush.

PeteCz 07-13-2010 12:35 PM

Wow, scary stuff!!

Just remember, you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest member of your group.....

:biggrin::eek:

The Principal 07-13-2010 12:58 PM

Problem was, I was the slowest! That presents a real dilemma, at least for me! I was the old man of the group.

JohnH0802 07-13-2010 09:49 PM

Glad you slipped by the bear, but did you post a fishing report on the fishing?

NDuncan 07-14-2010 08:23 AM

I guess I left out a lot of details about the actual fishing...

I was on the water for probably about an hour and half, caught the three pictured, had numerous other strikes and rises, and on my way back down stopped and fished over some of the pools I had stopped at earlier and had a couple of hits with a green weenie, but they all managed to throw the hook before I could land them.

All in all, a good trip, even if it was cut short. I probably would have caught more fish if I hadn't been so busy catching Rhododendron. On the plus side, I don't know if there is some universal gravitation law that dictates where a fly will get snagged on a rhododendron branch, but on this occasion, multiple times while I was untangling my fly from branch, I located one or more other flies on the same branch, so I ended up walking out with more flies than I came in with!