Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Ramsay Cascades (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14179)

Greenie 07-14-2010 06:04 PM

Ramsay Cascades

A buddy and I headed up to Greenbriar for a couple of hours last week. We got in the water at the parking area for the Ramsay Cascades trailhead and fished up to where the creek forks. We only caught two little rainbows about 6 inches each, but had a good time (a bad day fishing is better than a good day doing anything else, in my opinion). I had to be at work by 3, so we didn't venture further up, since it seemed as if trail access was non-existent for a ways up the creek beyond the y in the creek. Beautiful water, though for sure. Those pools definitely look very fishy. In fact, I assumed we would catch more than we actually did, but considering I am a wet-behind-the-ear amateur and he has only 3 fly-fishing years under his belt, I am not totally shocked.

Anyways, my question is this: where the creek forks, does this eventually come back together or is this two different branches? If it is two different branches, which one leads to the cascades, or more importantly, the trail and where does the other go?

Thanks in advance. Also, thanks in advance for your patience with what will undoubtedly be many amateur questions from me.

pineman19 07-14-2010 06:17 PM

Greenie,

I'll assume you hit the first fork in the river above the parking area. If so, to answer your question after the forks end, you're still on the Greenbriar. Just after the forks end, you'll enter the Greenbriar Gorge which goes all the way to the point where the Ramsey Prong empties into the Greenbriar. The Gorge is one of the most beautiful areas in the Park IMO, I usually fish it once or twice a year. Note: once you commit to the Gorge you have 6-7 hrs of fishing ahead of you until you reach the mouth Of Ramsey Prong. It is a rough area to fish, large boulders and swift water abound. It is best to fish this area when water levels are normal or maybe a bit below normal. It's a great place to fish in summer, I fished it nearly two weeks ago, and water levels were perfect for fishing. If you've never fished this are before, it's best to take a buddy and let someone know where you're going to be fishing. Brookies become more prominent as you head upstream.

Once you reach where Ramsey Prong enters the main stream on the left, the main stem continues on the right. This is some of the better water in the Park for brookies, but it is not for the faint of heart as there is no trail along this stretch of the river.

Neal

Greenie 07-14-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pineman19 (Post 83181)
Greenie,

I'll assume you hit the first fork in the river above the parking area. If so, to answer your question after the forks end, you're still on the Greenbriar. Just after the forks end, you'll enter the Greenbriar Gorge which goes all the way to the point where the Ramsey Prong empties into the Greenbriar. The Gorge is one of the most beautiful areas in the Park IMO, I usually fish it once or twice a year. Note: once you commit to the Gorge you have 6-7 hrs of fishing ahead of you until you reach the mouth Of Ramsey Prong. It is a rough area to fish, large boulders and swift water abound. It is best to fish this area when water levels are normal or maybe a bit below normal. It's a great place to fish in summer, I fished it nearly two weeks ago, and water levels were perfect for fishing. If you've never fished this are before, it's best to take a buddy and let someone know where you're going to be fishing. Brookies become more prominent as you head upstream.

Once you reach where Ramsey Prong enters the main stream on the left, the main stem continues on the right. This is some of the better water in the Park for brookies, but it is not for the faint of heart as there is no trail along this stretch of the river.

Neal

Yes, that is the fork to which I was referring. So, the two forks eventually come back together further upstream?

tennswede 07-14-2010 06:40 PM

Unless I'm lost it's really nothing more than an island in the stream. As Neal pointed out though, there area is very rough once you are past that island. You can get out at a point about half way in, but it's not recommended. Don't ask me why, just believe me when I say it's not recommended.

pineman19 07-14-2010 06:45 PM

Yes, the forks are roughly a few hundred yards longs, the right fork carries more water. When water levels are high I'll often fish the left fork since it is near the trail and is easier to handle. Like I said before, the Gorge section right after the forks rejoin, once you get past there it is tough or nearly impossible to get out of the gorge due to the steepness and the rhodo jungle. There is an area higher up where the slope decreases and it is possible to get out to the trail if you know how to read terrain and how to work your way through the woods. I do both for a living, so that helps sometimes when in those types of situations.

Neal

Greenie 07-14-2010 06:46 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Also, I have heard that it is very rough. I am still debating on whether or not to give it a shot.

pineman19 07-14-2010 06:50 PM

Hans, is right, it's an island, both sections are still the Greenbriar.

Neal

pineman19 07-14-2010 06:54 PM

Greenie,

It is a special place. Just take a friend and be prepared to spend to spend the better part of a day in there. Take plenty of water and snacks, etc unless you are a camel, lol.

Neal

Jim Casada 07-14-2010 08:01 PM

Pineman19--Excellent post. I wish I had described the area, especially the gorge, in my book as well as you do in your offering. YOu are definitely right--the gorge is not for the faint of heart or indeed for anyone who isn't at least moderately fit.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

pineman19 07-14-2010 08:14 PM

Jim,

Thanks for the compliment. I used to enjoy and do pretty well writing in college. I write in my work, but it's mostly technical writing, just the facts stuff! Once in while I need to use my writing skills online or they will simply fade away!

Neal