Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Members Board (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Chattanewbie (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14188)

benintenn 07-17-2010 04:54 PM

Chattanewbie

So, I've always been a regular ole spinning fishing kinda guy. However, I recently took a trip that changed me. I've been backpacking for several years and on a recent trip something happened that provoked my interest in learning how to fly fish.

Me and a few friends decided to celebrate the end of the school year (we are teachers) by taking a backpacking trip. We always do a Smokies trip at the end of May after school lets out. We decided to head up Beech Gap to Hyatt Ridge to Enloe Creek and stay at #47 then the next day head up to Hughes Ridge and over to Bradley Fork and Cabin Flats to stay at #49. I had read in the brown book that 47 was on the water and one of the prettiest campsite in the park. On a whim, I decided to bring my ultralight spinner with some flies other lures. Keep in mind, I had no idea on how to fish small streams.

To make a long story short, I was amazed at how pretty the area around 47 and the creek. I went to the creek under the bridge and noticed a ton of black looking flies swarming over the water. So I looked through my walmart flies, found a black one, tied it on, and whipped it out onto the water with my 5 ft spinning setup. Before I could flip the bale back over something hit it. of course I missed it. Tried again, same thing happened. Every time I tried, they hit it so fast i had no time to react. After I let out few profane exclamations and got over my initial frustration, I decided I had to learn to fly fish.

I went to a place on the Hiawasse and took a beginner course and casting lesson yesterday. It was great. I know I should have went to the LRO school but I just didn't have the time with the drive but I plan on supporting them whenever I'm up there. After I talk my wife into buying the TFO 4/5 weight combo (I figure this should be a good starter set), I'll be good to go.

Jim Casada 07-17-2010 07:53 PM

beninteen--A hearty welcome to the forum. It's a fine source of information, civil interchange, and more. You also have taken the first step into a world of wonder which has entranced me for all but the first six of my 68 years, and I love fly fishing as much now as I did as a enchanted boy growing up in the Smokies.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

JoeFred 07-18-2010 09:50 AM

Welcome, benintenn! Glad to have you in our midst. Great trip report. Keep them comin'

JF

todd_grainger 07-24-2010 01:01 AM

BeninTN...Stayed at Cabin Flats several years ago...didn't get to fish as it was raining the entire time, and creek was super swollen. Sounds like an awesome trip...I will have to add 47 to my need to do list.
I also am a teacher in Chattaboogie. What school are you at?
Todd Grainger

benintenn 07-24-2010 12:50 PM

I'm at CSAS.

Knothead 07-25-2010 01:49 PM

FYI, the Hiwassee Chapter of TU hosts a newbie day the second Saturday of the month, except January and February due to the weather, behind the Reliance Fly and Tackle store. This is a bug sampling to check for what's in the water, fly tying lessons, and casting lesson, at no charge. For more info, go to www.hiwassee.net for details.