Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Where on earth is Greenbrier? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14295)

JoeFred 08-09-2010 09:52 AM

Where on earth is Greenbrier?

Just curious what fishing "Greenbrier" means to members. Please use the poll above.

Thanks,

JF

Rog 1 08-09-2010 10:55 AM

As long as I have been fishing ... and this summer marks the golden anniversary of my first trout on a fly in Greenbrier...the term Greenbrier refers to any of the waters that are found withing the Greenbrier Cove that come to make up the Little Pigeon rive as if flows from the Park...for years I only knew that I had caught my first trout in Greenbrier and it wasn't until thirty years later that I realized that I was on Porter's Creek...even when you could drive up to the forks of Ramsey Prong we would be fishing in Greenbrier...just like fishing Elkmont could put you in Jakes Creek, Fish Camp Prong, Goshen Prong or Rough Creek...

JoeFred 08-09-2010 12:23 PM

Rog 1, I'm with you.

I've read/heard references to Greenbrier Creek. What do you suppose this refers to?

JF

NDuncan 08-09-2010 01:07 PM

Could be confusion over Little Brier Branch at Metcalf bottoms because of Little Greenbrier Road and bridge that crosses there as well as the Little Greenbrier Trial in that area? That's my best guess.

JoeFred 08-09-2010 01:40 PM

Yes, that could be.

Then in his book, "Hiking Great Smoky Mountains National Park" Kevin Adams makes reference to "Campsite 34 right beside Greenbrier Creek.":confused:

JF

Grannyknot 08-09-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeFred (Post 84317)
Yes, that could be.

Then in his book, "Hiking Great Smoky Mountains National Park" Kevin Adams makes reference to "Campsite 34 right beside Greenbrier Creek.":confused:

JF

I believe the little stream that flows into Hen Wallow Creek outside of Cosby is called Greenbriar Creek.

JoeFred 08-10-2010 04:54 PM

Thanks, Grannyknot, you are right on re. Greenbrier Creek's location. I confess that my bringing it up was chasing a dace :rolleyes:, but I have read that some locals back in the day referred to a least some portion of the Little Pigeon and/or Middle Prong as Greenbrier Creek also.

I'm interested in what streams in Greenbrier Cove are referred to present day so I can best label the individual detailed maps being developed in the Little Pigeon drainage.
JF

duckypaddler 08-10-2010 07:28 PM

I've been reading the Smoky Mountain Hiking Clubs books from the 40's and I think it refers generally to the area, and more specificly where there are Thick Briers. The areas they were talking about being thick were areas that were logged and I'm sure had much more light & much more Briers than there are now. Not that the Smokies "lacks briers" of anything. Since the Cabin in the Brier was up Porter's I'm sure that area must also be included:smile: Just my 2 cents.
James

JoeFred 08-10-2010 09:51 PM

James, good stuff on a sticky :rolleyes: subject.

JF