Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Canoes and Kayaks (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Sit Ontop vs. Sit Inside (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14308)

eaze53 08-12-2010 09:01 AM

Sit Ontop vs. Sit Inside

Just a note here for anyone considering small craft fishing. This past weekend, I experienced the joy and pain of fishing from both a Sit On top and a Sit Inside craft as a friend and I fished the Little Tennessee River about 8 miles above its confluence with Fontana Lake. I've fished from an (sit inside) Old Town Predator Kayak for the past 7 years, mostly on Little River, other E. TN streams and lakes.

Recently had the fortune to pick up a Wilderness Systems Tarpon (sit on top) kayak. It's the smaller model and is easy enough for one person to load/unload, etc. Although the Predator has been great for Little River fishing, I found it lacking for the trip down the Little T. I let my friend take the Tarpon and he was able to navigate the shallow shoals much more easily than I was. Too many times, I was dragging tail or clamoring out of the Predator as he merrilly floated by. Also, the sit on top is much easier to get in and out of... (age is a cruel mentor).

Giving the Predator it's due, the sit inside provides easier upstream navigation (tracks better) and does provide some protection from water, a plus during winter fishing.

Eaze

spotlight 08-12-2010 10:53 PM

I just bought a Native ultimate 12 I had it out last weekend didn't do any fishing but I can see it's going to be sweeeeet! Congrats on finding a good fit boat. I see youe here in Murville shoot me an e-mail and lets go float a tailwater sometime the Clinch from exit 122 to the jail is a good one I'm we and both drive and do the shuttle e-mail me if your interested.

Bfish 08-13-2010 09:06 AM

Jackson Kayak's soon to be release Coosa model should be on anyone's short list for kayak fishing, especially fly fishing since it offers one the ability to stand-up. Really it is the first kayak designed for fishing rivers. All other fishing kayaks have been designed for fishing lakes or ocean waters.

For list of features and a couple short videos on the Coosa:
http://drewgregory.com/go/2010/08/dr...jackson-kayak/

(I hope posting link is okay, if not mod feel free to remove)

Also I am early on the waiting list, once it goes into production (late Oct). If anybody wants to test ride, I would be more than willing to let you play around with mine.

EDIT to add:
Jackson Kayak is a TN company, I always like supporting local companies whenever possible.

sanjuriu 08-14-2010 01:06 AM

got one

I bought a wilderness 100, sit on top about 5 weeks ago. Great kayak, easy to handle and port. Most of my fishing has been on lakes. You might consider an anchor of some type. Wave action can get treacherous at times. Even with that, good times.

psnapp 08-14-2010 05:26 AM

Bfish -- let's stay in touch about the Coosa. Shoot me an email at phil.snapp@yahoo.com.

Phil

Bfish 08-14-2010 09:45 AM

psnapp,
Email sent with my contact info.

Troutman 08-16-2010 12:52 PM

The Coosa is on my Christmas list! :biggrin:

Bran 08-17-2010 09:47 AM

I've had my Native Ultimate 12 for over a year and have enjoyed it so much I went back and bought the Tegris model for those hard to reach spots and portaging long distances. I can't say anything bad about them,
love it, and they're made just down the road in Greensboro, NC.

PS The Tegris weighs 29 lbs/ 36 lbs. with/ without the seat and I can still stand up in it!

silvercreek 08-17-2010 04:27 PM

Bran, the Tegris must be fairly new. I can't find a price on them. What"s a ballpark price for them? Thanks

old east tn boy 08-17-2010 09:37 PM

NativeCraft Tegris 12

Bought the boat last summer from River Sport here in Knoxville for $1750. It had slight shipping damage, very minor, otherwise price was $1995. Understand that the price jumped to $2350 around the first of the year. Be aware, it is not indestructible no matter what the salesperson says. First trip down the Clinch I put a nice deep scratch on the bottom. Ordered a $99 patch repair kit that was a total joke. I refused to buy it since I wasn't taking on water. It is a great little boat, very light and super stable, tracks great but I am disappointed it isn't tougher. Nothing can come close on weight, super light!