Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Website and Message Board (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Personal messages? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14395)

Knothead 09-02-2010 01:52 PM

Personal messages?
 
Is there any way to send personal messages to a member, bypassing the message board? I don't care to take up board "space" with an inquiry to a member about meeting to wet a line. Thanks in advance.

Jim Casada 09-02-2010 03:09 PM

Paula--I have a somewhat related question. Is there any way for an individual to be notified when a message is directed toward them? Another forum in which I participate does this with some kind of auto e-mailing.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Trip 09-02-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Casada (Post 85358)
Paula--I have a somewhat related question. Is there any way for an individual to be notified when a message is directed toward them? Another forum in which I participate does this with some kind of auto e-mailing.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Go to edit options in your user cp.

Set your default thread subscription mode to instant email notification or you can set it to the time frame of your choosing.

Knothead 09-02-2010 04:57 PM

How do I send a message to a member?

NDuncan 09-02-2010 05:07 PM

Private messages are disabled from what I can tell. You would have to get their email address, i guess.

Jim Casada 09-02-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 85361)
Go to edit options in your user cp.

Set your default thread subscription mode to instant email notification or you can set it to the time frame of your choosing.

Trip--This will probably have most everyone on this forum chuckling at my ignorance, but I've never been one scared to say "I don't know." When you mention my edit options in my user cp I don't have a clue as to what you mean. What does cp stand for and where does one find edit options?
Beyond that I have no clue as to what a default thread is. Maybe my daughter can show me the next time she visits, and I guarantee my brother would know.

Me, I suspect I've got about as wide-ranging vocabulary as anyone using the forum, I can type 100+ words a minute on a steady basis, and I would virtually guarantee I've read as much as any of you guys and gals (yeah, yeah, I know I've had a lot more years to do it in). But when it comes to technology, I'm a clueless wonder. To me a blackberry is something used to make cobblers and quite decent wine (I've got some in Mason jars right now), and Facebook is a volume laid open for reading.

Still, you were most gracious to try and help someone who is pretty much technologically helpless. Thanks!

Incidentally, if you wonder how I can be so abysmally ignorant and have a web site, it's simple. I provide the words and a webmaster in Missoula, MT does everything else, including all the postings of my free monthly e-newsletter. Should anyone be interested in getting it, all you have to do is go to the web site and sign up. It'll come automatically from that point on, somewhere around the first of each month (that's some shameless promotion, but mayhap the lovely Ms. Paula will let me slip by, and since it's free I don't think I'm intruding much of anywhere).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Trip 09-02-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knothead (Post 85364)
How do I send a message to a member?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDuncan (Post 85366)
Private messages are disabled from what I can tell. You would have to get their email address, i guess.

they have pm's disabled. You can't do it unless they enable them or email each other.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Casada (Post 85375)
Trip--This will probably have most everyone on this forum chuckling at my ignorance, but I've never been one scared to say "I don't know." When you mention my edit options in my user cp I don't have a clue as to what you mean. What does cp stand for and where does one find edit options?
Beyond that I have no clue as to what a default thread is. Maybe my daughter can show me the next time she visits, and I guarantee my brother would know.

Me, I suspect I've got about as wide-ranging vocabulary as anyone using the forum, I can type 100+ words a minute on a steady basis, and I would virtually guarantee I've read as much as any of you guys and gals (yeah, yeah, I know I've had a lot more years to do it in). But when it comes to technology, I'm a clueless wonder. To me a blackberry is something used to make cobblers and quite decent wine (I've got some in Mason jars right now), and Facebook is a volume laid open for reading.

Still, you were most gracious to try and help someone who is pretty much technologically helpless. Thanks!

Incidentally, if you wonder how I can be so abysmally ignorant and have a web site, it's simple. I provide the words and a webmaster in Missoula, MT does everything else, including all the postings of my free monthly e-newsletter. Should anyone be interested in getting it, all you have to do is go to the web site and sign up. It'll come automatically from that point on, somewhere around the first of each month (that's some shameless promotion, but mayhap the lovely Ms. Paula will let me slip by, and since it's free I don't think I'm intruding much of anywhere).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

LOL, I can help ya out more.

At the top of the page, you will see the LRO header and options. Then you will see the forum options (Home, QLinks, New Posts, Members, then User CP)

Click User CP

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9391/usercp.jpg





Next you will want to click "edit options" on the sidebar:

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/4148/editoptions.jpg



Then finally you will want to click the drop down tab and select what kind of email notification you want. Instant email will shoot you an email anytime you get a reply.

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2109/subscribe.jpg







DON't FORGET TO CLICK SAVE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE TO SAVE YOUR OPTIONS.

Trip 09-02-2010 09:09 PM

Also don't forget to click save at the bottom of that page once you select that option.

If you have any more vbulletin forum questions, I can try to answer them like above, I spend a lot of my time admining several vbulletin forums and doing a lot of custom addon options on them.

Jim Casada 09-03-2010 08:09 AM

Trip--Thanks, and with enough red markings to make me think I was once again grading college students' papers, I do believe I can manage this. I appreciate your being so helpful. Now I'll trouble you (or Paula) with one more question. Why isn't there a spell/grammar checking function? Or maybe there is and I just missed it. While such functions are light years from perfection, they do help (and I'm too lazy to go back and proofread my posts).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

Trip 09-03-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Casada (Post 85387)
Trip--Thanks, and with enough red markings to make me think I was once again grading college students' papers, I do believe I can manage this. I appreciate your being so helpful. Now I'll trouble you (or Paula) with one more question. Why isn't there a spell/grammar checking function? Or maybe there is and I just missed it. While such functions are light years from perfection, they do help (and I'm too lazy to go back and proofread my posts).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com

There is, here is another college grading flashback for ya. :biggrin:

I personally prefer a piece of software called Mozilla Firefox. You use it instead of internet explorer or safari depending on your computer. It automatically spell checks anything you type into any website.

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4885/spellcheck.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.