Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Saltwater Fly Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Decent red on a marginal tide (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14461)

JohnH0802 09-20-2010 09:18 AM

Decent red on a marginal tide

I have not been fishing lately, it has been a rough 3 weeks or so with some difficult challenges for my family an I. On Saturday I went out with my friend Martin to a spot he found. I really needed a chance to decompress a little. The tide was marginal, at only a 7.3, but I ended up seeing two fish working in about 4 inches of water right along the river....made a few casts, and spooked one that swam right up to me before I could get out of the way.

I ended up casting to the other fish, and got him on a crab pattern. Nice 27.5 inch fish and a fun fight starting in about 4 inches of water....lots of splashing.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/a...2010Mamall.jpg

I ended up hooking one other fish that came off, and seeing and having shots at several others. I think I spooked 3 fish trying to get the fly down into the grass that was a little taller.....up over the leaf and drop right on the fishes head after casting to it a half dozen times. Still a great day, and thanks to my friend Martin for taking me out. I needed it.

Here is a pic that I hadn't posted yet...gotta love them tailers.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/a...er09032010.jpg

No Hackle 09-23-2010 02:52 PM

John, great fish. I just got back from Savannah. Never caught a fish only had one bump that may or may not been a fish. The fort has alot of potential by the time I went didnt have the time to fish. When I went by the Beaufort, I thought of you catching all those reds.
Lynn

bigpopper 09-23-2010 10:08 PM

Nice fish John!

JohnH0802 09-24-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Hackle (Post 86232)
John, great fish. I just got back from Savannah. Never caught a fish only had one bump that may or may not been a fish. The fort has alot of potential by the time I went didnt have the time to fish. When I went by the Beaufort, I thought of you catching all those reds.
Lynn

Lynn,
I am sorry to hear that you had no luck, but maybe next time you will. If it works out maybe next time we can get together.

John

MadisonBoats 09-24-2010 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH0802 (Post 86034)
I have not been fishing lately, it has been a rough 3 weeks or so with some difficult challenges for my family an I. On Saturday I went out with my friend Martin to a spot he found. I really needed a chance to decompress a little. The tide was marginal, at only a 7.3, but I ended up seeing two fish working in about 4 inches of water right along the river....made a few casts, and spooked one that swam right up to me before I could get out of the way.

I ended up casting to the other fish, and got him on a crab pattern. Nice 27.5 inch fish and a fun fight starting in about 4 inches of water....lots of splashing.

I have never been fishing in this setting; but, I enjoy reading your posts so that I can plan a trip one day. I came close a few times; but divine intervention stepped in and I stepped out.:eek:

No Hackle 09-25-2010 11:46 AM

John, my wife and I are for sure going back to Savannah. We had agreat time and really like the area. I think we should hook- up for sure. As far as the luck went thats part of it. About the time I figured it out it was time to go. I want to thank you again for the info. When we decide to go back I be in touch. Maybe some help with the tides or best time of year. I really found out what little I know about tides and they seem so drastic in that area.
Thanks again, Lynn

speed43 09-26-2010 11:00 PM

John, I've been trying to find areas along the coast to wade grass flats for reds. I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but have fished grass flats one time in Georgetown and absolutely loved it. I live in East Tennessee and have been hankering to make a trip to the coast. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

JohnH0802 09-27-2010 08:11 AM

Shawn,
Let me know if you get a chance to plan a trip and I will try and help you out. It is a great experience.

Speed,
The best advice is to look at the tides, and plan a trip when the tides are good. Normally the tides are pretty good towards the end of summer/fall. Earlier in the summer the tides can be less predictable, i.e. the prevailing winds can keep the water out, while in the late summer/fall the prevailing winds often bring extra water in. I use a tide log, and the best bet would be to check the tides ahead and plan a trip when you have tides that are going to be from 7.7 to 8.3 for the majority of your visit. Now these tides are for the Beaufort/HHI area and are uncorrected at the Savannah River Mouth. Tides for other parts of the coast would be different, and I do not know what constitutes a good tide in the Charleston area (the tides there are lower than they are in my area). Hope this helps.

John

JohnH0802 09-27-2010 08:29 AM

On another note, I did manage to catch one fish this weekend, and break another off. The one I landed was a decent 22" fish, but he had 10 spots on him.

http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/a...0spotsmall.jpg

MadisonBoats 09-27-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnH0802 (Post 86383)
Shawn,
Let me know if you get a chance to plan a trip and I will try and help you out. It is a great experience.

John

I am sure you would; I can see from your posts that you are a great ambassador for our sport and you provide us landlocked guys with the Redfish information. Made it to Tybee Island once with my rod and all the right flies; met a wonderful young lady that rented kayaks for fishing in the backwaters. She was so young and was just finishing a bout with cancer. I enjoyed chatting with her and she offered to let me piggyback a trip. However; my in-laws stepped in and said I could not go fishing. It was not on their agenda for our trip...That was one of the instances that helped me wake up to the situation I had put myself in...Cannot wait to visit that area again...