Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Smoky Mountain Fishing (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Fising Absolutes (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14562)

jeffnles1 10-19-2010 08:50 PM

Fising Absolutes
 
Some things I know as fact about fly fishing in the Smoky's.:smile:
  • A fly gets hung in a tree about 3" out of reach every time
  • 5X tippet is worthless for pulling the tree limb down that last 3"
  • dry rocks are just as dangerous as wet slick rocks
  • I never catch a decent fish when someone is there to witness the event.
  • Photographs always shrink the fish by at least a 50% margin
  • Fish have an IQ of about 3 so what does it say about me when I get skunked?
  • Don't take "your" car key off the keychain to put in your pocket and lock the rest of the keys in the car when you drove your wife's car to the stream.
  • Spiders in the Smoky's are really big, especially when they are crawling up your arm.
  • Acorns landing on your head hurt
  • The water is deeper than it looks and it's cold
  • however many flys you buy at LRO, you needed that number plus 1.
  • The fly you only have 1 of is the one they're hitting (see number 2 about the value of 5X tippet for pulling the tree branch down the last 3")
  • Last week the fish were fighting themselves to get hooked
  • That hill is a lot steeper than it looks
  • Peanutbutter and Jelly sandwiches taste great after a solid morning's fishing and the hood of a car makes a pretty good picnic table
  • No matter how bad the catching is, the fishing is always outstanding.
  • If there is anyplace on Earth prettier than the streams in the Smoky's I've yet to see it.
Jeff

Knothead 10-20-2010 08:58 AM

How true!
Fisherman's luck:
1. You should have been here yesterday. They were hitting anything that hit the water.
2. Just after you left they started hitting anything that hit the water.

ifish4wildtrout 10-20-2010 09:24 AM

Any time you turn your head or look away, something will hit your fly. When you look back, it's too late for the hook set. That happens to me from time to time.

When I do snag a tree, rock, or whatever, it only seems to happen the first cast into a nice looking run, hole, or pool. That way, I get to spook the entire area before fishing it.

Can't see with my polarized sunglasses, can't see without them. They always seem to fog up.

That fish always looks bigger when it's in the water.

We usually only talk about the big one that got away. I don't think I've ever mentioned a 5 incher that came unhooked. :biggrin:

MadisonBoats 10-20-2010 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnles1 (Post 86983)
Some things I know as fact about fly fishing in the Smoky's.:smile:
  • A fly gets hung in a tree about 3" out of reach every time
  • 5X tippet is worthless for pulling the tree limb down that last 3"
  • dry rocks are just as dangerous as wet slick rocks
  • I never catch a decent fish when someone is there to witness the event.
  • Photographs always shrink the fish by at least a 50% margin
  • Fish have an IQ of about 3 so what does it say about me when I get skunked?
  • Don't take "your" car key off the keychain to put in your pocket and lock the rest of the keys in the car when you drove your wife's car to the stream.
  • Spiders in the Smoky's are really big, especially when they are crawling up your arm.
  • Acorns landing on your head hurt
  • The water is deeper than it looks and it's cold
  • however many flys you buy at LRO, you needed that number plus 1.
  • The fly you only have 1 of is the one they're hitting (see number 2 about the value of 5X tippet for pulling the tree branch down the last 3")
  • Last week the fish were fighting themselves to get hooked
  • That hill is a lot steeper than it looks
  • Peanutbutter and Jelly sandwiches taste great after a solid morning's fishing and the hood of a car makes a pretty good picnic table
  • No matter how bad the catching is, the fishing is always outstanding.
  • If there is anyplace on Earth prettier than the streams in the Smoky's I've yet to see it.
Jeff

*Good Synopsis! I can relate to all of those!:biggrin:

[QUOTE=ifish4wildtrout;86999]
Can't see with my polarized sunglasses, can't see without them. They always seem to fog up.
/QUOTE]
**Spit inside your glasses and wipe them clean with a dry cloth. The protein in your saliva well help reduce the fogging of your classes. Carried this over from my scuba training....

ifish4wildtrout 10-20-2010 09:52 AM

I'll try that, thanks.

Chuckwalla 10-20-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifish4wildtrout (Post 86999)
Any time you turn your head or look away, something will hit your fly. When you look back, it's too late for the hook set.

+1, Drives me nuts! Yet, I can't stop doing it.

Fishstu 10-20-2010 01:54 PM

The "Mother of All Absolutes"
 
I have no disagreement with any of the observations made by others in this thread, and while I do not have empirical evidence at hand to demonstrate the accuracy of any of them - - we "know" them to be truisms from our own experiences in the bee-u-tee-ful streams (and on the banks of streams) in GSMNP.

I respectfully submit for your consdieration as the "Mother of All Absolutes" the following axiom - - coined by a sage more wise than me: A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day at Work.

Can I get an 'amen' or 'hear-hear' (depending on your personal preference)?

Fishstu

Rog 1 10-20-2010 02:19 PM

Another...the best looking water is always on the other side of the river.

ifish4wildtrout 10-20-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishstu (Post 87018)
I have no disagreement with any of the observations made by others in this thread, and while I do not have empirical evidence at hand to demonstrate the accuracy of any of them - - we "know" them to be truisms from our own experiences in the bee-u-tee-ful streams (and on the banks of streams) in GSMNP.

I respectfully submit for your consdieration as the "Mother of All Absolutes" the following axiom - - coined by a sage more wise than me: A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day at Work.

Can I get an 'amen' or 'hear-hear' (depending on your personal preference)?

Fishstu

Amen, my brother, amen. Truer words never spoken. :cool:

Ky Tim 10-20-2010 03:21 PM

"Last week the fish were fighting themselves to get hooked"

LOL I haven't been there for a while but down at Wingates Lodge on Lake Seminole Georgia the sign out front was similar to that. As you were arriving it said "They were really catching them yesterday!" as you were leaving it said something like "They will be tearing them up tomorrow!" :smile:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.