Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Canoes and Kayaks (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Small Drift Boats (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14788)

Trico 01-21-2011 11:25 AM

Small Drift Boats

I have been looking into getting a drift boat. Two models have perked my interest. One is the Clackacraft Head Hunter Skiff with a wgt of 200 lbs. The other is the Hyde Sportsman's Drifter with a wgt of 130 lbs. Normally my wife and I fish together so a boat for two people would be great. As a fat old man I don't know if I could handle a full size drift boat. I am not that familiar with the rivers in Tenn. I was wondering how these boats would be on the Clinch and Holston. Is anyone familiar with these two models or have any opinions? I know many of you have a lot more experience with drift boats then I. Your opinions are appreciated.

Bfish 01-24-2011 10:07 AM

Having fished out of a Headhunter II, it is really tight for two casters. Plan on one of you being on the oars at all times, or use the boat to get to wading spots so that you can both fish. Rowing should not be much of problem, launching is the draw back with most boats.

You may also want to look at inflatables. The two person rigs will weigh about the same as two person drift boats and I find they take much less maintenance.
They don't have sports car like rowing, however they still row pretty easily. They also take "crashes" into rocks much easier than fiberglass. Which might be important to someone learning how to row on new water.

PS I have a nearly complete two person pontoon for sale, which should weigh-in at around 140-150 lbs when compete. If your interested, just let me know.

Luke Warmwater 01-26-2011 07:20 PM

Boats

Hi Trico,

Just saw your post and have rowed both drifters and skiffs. Both are capable on the TN rivers you mentioned. If you can handle either the sportsman or the head hunter, you can certainly handle a full size drift boat. The 14' drifters weigh a little more than the others, but they also hold their value better and have plenty of room for you, Mrs. Trico as well as one other person (who can also row while you fish). The later is very important, just ask my friends who row while I fish!

Get something with some storage, the Hyde drifters have storage built in up front and have a bunch of different benches and pedistal storage. The more storage you have, the more stuff you bring and the more weight you have to move. Extra "stuff" can make the back sore if you aren't careful.

Get good oars. I reccomend cataract counter balanced oars. These will help your elbows and shoulders feel better at the end of the day. Also, they have a little less flex so when you make a move, change directions or generally need to get out of trouble, they will respond. The extra money for these is well spent.

Get an EZ Anchor Pulley for the rear. One that goes between the anchor and the arm. This will save your back when you pull the anchor, to make a move, for those fish that are rising just out of casting range. Also, for me a side pulley system works better than the floor mounted model. It is easier on my back to pull sideways than to pull straight up. :eek:

Last but not least is loading and unloading the boat. A tilt trailer is a luxury, but may be worth the extra cast on any boat. Especially at the end of a long float when all you want is some rest! An electric winch would be good for the takeout too as long as we are spending your money.:biggrin:

Hope some of this info helps and IMHO you can't go wrong with a drift boat, it has been the best purchase I have made yet for fishing.

David Perry
Southeastern Fly

MadisonBoats 01-27-2011 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater (Post 89562)
Hi Trico,

Just saw your post and have rowed both drifters and skiffs. .....

......Hope some of this info helps and IMHO you can't go wrong with a drift boat, it has been the best purchase I have made yet for fishing.

David Perry
Southeastern Fly

Good post David! You discussed some excellent topics and issues!

Trico 01-30-2011 04:36 PM

Thanks to Bfish and Luke Warmwater for your opinions. You have helped convince me a full size boat is the way to go. I really like the idea of someone else rowing and me fishing! ;) Still decisions to be made and shopping to do but I'll be taking a hard look at both Clackacraft and Hyde.

MadisonBoats 01-30-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trico (Post 89680)
Thanks to Bfish and Luke Warmwater for your opinions. You have helped convince me a full size boat is the way to go. I really like the idea of someone else rowing and me fishing! ;) Still decisions to be made and shopping to do but I'll be taking a hard look at both Clackacraft and Hyde.

I am not a big fan of anyone rowing. So; I hope to have a nice internal trolling motor that can steer and control a drift boat with ease in my brand of boats. I will have oar locks; adjustable of-course for those who enjoy rowing. I am trying hard to get a model in production asap. I just do not want to have one out that is not everything a fly fisherman wants and expects.

Trico 02-08-2011 02:36 PM

Again many thanks for the opinions voiced on a drift boat. I am probably going to place an order this week, if I don't chicken out! The boat I have a price on is a new Clackacraft 16LP with Cararact Counter Balanced Oars, Clacka Pulley System for the anchor, spare breakdown oar, galvanized trailer w/tounge jack and spare tire. Plus extra drain pugs. If I order this week it may still ship by the end of the month.

DBKSTONE2 02-13-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonBoats (Post 89690)
I am not a big fan of anyone rowing. So; I hope to have a nice internal trolling motor that can steer and control a drift boat with ease in my brand of boats. I will have oar locks; adjustable of-course for those who enjoy rowing. I am trying hard to get a model in production asap. I just do not want to have one out that is not everything a fly fisherman wants and expects.

Madison,

I am not getting any younger. You need to crap or get off the pot when it comes to drift boat manufacturing. I would love to buy from a local manufacturer verses sending my money out west. We have touched on this subject before so I am very intrigued as to what you plan to bring to the table. You have teased this long enough. GET TO WORK!!!