Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Canoes and Kayaks (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   Gheenoe? (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14804)

DarrinG 01-29-2011 10:15 PM

Gheenoe?

Anyone with experience with a Gheenoe?
How are they for lake fishing with a small outboard on the rear? Stable enough for kids? Get swamped when a speedboat goes by and the wake hits?

MadisonBoats 01-29-2011 11:02 PM

Basically the same as a canoe with a squared back end....I really think they are only suited for a one-man operation. Some will differ; but, I will guaranteed you that I would never take out any children in one.

Grumpy 01-29-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrinG (Post 89666)

Stable enough for kids? Get swamped when a speedboat goes by and the wake hits?

They make custom Gheenoes for the bigger water($$$$$$), i wouldn't take a standard model to the lake if you gave it to me:eek:
I have spent many a day in one on the Caney, got close to the dam one day under generation, that was scary.
For normal use away from turbulent water or waves, they're fine.

Grumpy

DarrinG 01-30-2011 11:52 PM

There's a bunch of video's on YouTube with guys running these boats all over, including on lakes. One video shows a guy with 2 kids on his and they stand almost the whole time.
Interesting boats, and doing a little research on the web, they almost seem to have a cult-like following. Many guys swear by them.
I wonder if the Gheenoe is a better choice than a flat-bottom jon? Smaller jons worry me on bigger water as well, with the low sides. The Gheenoe has taller gunwales and seems maybe a better choice?

doghaircaddis 01-31-2011 01:10 AM

Had a 15'4" Highsider that I just sold. I took that thing everywhere, but wouldn't recommend it with kids. It was much more stable than a canoe but still tippy. Also have to be extra careful on the tailwaters due to the fiberglass.

There is quite a bit of variance between Gheenoe models. If you're considering having kids along, I wouldn't go with anything smaller than the Classic. The Low Tide 25 would be best, but it's a bit pricey. The build quality is excellent.

DarrinG 01-31-2011 01:27 AM

Thanks, DHC.
No tailwater fishing planned from a Gheenoe. I have an Outcast PAC boat for that. Considering a Gheenoe for area lakes....poking around coves and banks with my daughter, throwing flies for bluegills and such.

Bfish 01-31-2011 01:58 PM

Darrin, I have my gheenoe (riverhawk)13' for sale. Got a couple different motor options for it. I have pictures over on SEFFF in the classifieds. Feel free to schedule a test ride in it, then we can take out the pontoons afterwards on the hiwassee.

DarrinG 02-02-2011 03:35 AM

That sounds like a fun day, Blake.
If I can ever get some time off work, maybe we can work something out sometime soon.