Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Members Board (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   Another newbie says hi (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15129)

hookedontrout 04-24-2011 06:16 PM

Another newbie says hi

I wanted to follow proper etiquette and say hello. I have been following this forum for about 2 years so I didn't realize I had never posted before. I fish for trout with my two boys, ages 11 and 12 in North Carolina. We have been flyfishing for just over a year, mostly on stocked streams, although we have caught a few on the wild streams here. We just had our first backcountry trip ever into the Smokies, and although we did not catch any fish, we had a great time. I read the posts and saw the pictures of so many of you all on this forum and decided I just had to try the Smokies and we can't wait to get back there!

Crockett 04-24-2011 08:55 PM

Welcome to the forum hookedontrout! Glad to hear your trip was a good one. I am going on a long planned trip this weekend to Noland creek with my 6 year old son (that lowest campsite). Is that where you went by chance?

hookedontrout 04-24-2011 09:39 PM

Went to campsite 50 up from Smokemont.

Crockett 04-24-2011 09:46 PM

oh yeah thats an easy access one too only a mile or so in. I have had lunch there a couple of times but never stayed there. I always wondered if that little stream Chasteen creek had trout in it. Of course with Bradley fork being so close probably not many people try out Chasteen. Sorry you guys didn't hook up with any trout did you get any hits on your fly?

hookedontrout 04-26-2011 11:51 AM

Crockett - not even a hit, a flash, or anything close. We are real beginners with little experience in wild streams so we probably were not fishing correctly. We were just walking and climbing upstream looking for slower water near plunge pools and casting a parachute adams with a nymph dropper about 12 inches below it. What baffles me is another post for the same day that says they caught 50 brookies in the park that day, I guess things on the Tennessee side must have been calmer and that person is probably much more experienced, but we are learning and can't wait to go back.

JoeFred 04-26-2011 12:59 PM

Welcome, hookedontrout. If interested, shoot me an e-mail to info@saintclairmapping.com , and I'll fix you and your boys up with a free map. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

JF

Streamhound 04-26-2011 02:48 PM

Welcome hookedontrout

I can feel for you. Never had one of those 50+ days. But I bet you still had a great time. Its good to be out there (or it is for me)

old east tn boy 04-27-2011 10:33 PM

newcomer

Welcome hookedontrout. This is the place to lie all you want and everybody will love you for it! Have fun!

BlueRaiderFan 05-16-2011 11:41 PM

Welcome to the board. Fishing for trout in the Smokies can be a challenge at first but its worth the effort and fun to do with the family.

flyguys 05-17-2011 08:01 PM

Welcome to the board! Enjoy your time on here, I know we do. Good luck in any future trips. Remember, the catching is just icing in the cake. flyguys