Little River Outfitters Forum

Little River Outfitters Forum (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/index.php)
-   Tackle and Gear (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Thinking of a new 5wt (http://littleriveroutfitters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15220)

Tyrillius 05-23-2011 05:09 PM

Thinking of a new 5wt

After my trip to the Clinch on Sunday I have decided I need to get a 5wt rod. I have casted a friends 9' Z-axis, it is great, much better than my SP and it pretty much had me sold 6 months ago.

Then I started reading about the St. Croix Legend Elites and others using the new 3M technology and was wondering peoples thoughts that may have casted both of these rods and could compare them for me. I for sure would not buy one without taking one out for a spin but at this point I am just looking for general opinions and I figured this would be the best place to get them.

The other thing that was appealing is the fact I can probably get a 7wt bank robber and 5wt legend elite for a little extra money on top the price of a Z-axis 5wt. Two rods are always better than one right?

Hugh Hartsell 05-23-2011 06:46 PM

2=5wt. rods

Tyrillius,
I have a Legend Elite and I have a guide friend who has a Z-Axis. Both of the rods are great and will hold up well. The Z-Axis will cast to the moon if you need to. If you can afford the difference , it is worth it. If you don't want to break the bank, the Legend Elite will serve the purpose well.
Hugh

flyred06 05-23-2011 07:15 PM

I have the 9 ft 5wt z axis along with a 5wt winston and have had several orvis 5 wts. I have even had tfo's and own some st. croiux. I can say hands down that the zaxis is the best casting and feeling rod I have ever owned. I have a zxl and launch and the zaxis is the one I pick up nearly every trip out. It is definately worth the $$$$.

Trico 05-23-2011 08:20 PM

I too am looking at a new 5 wgt. I have a sage XP and would like something a little "softer". I have a 7 wgt Z axis and have cast the 5 wgt z axis. It's ok but not what I was looking for and I would not trade my XP for a Z axis. After reading the reviews on the Hardy Sintex 5 wgt I tried one. I cast one on land and finally got to try one over water. I was impressed. I think there is one in my future. I think it is a few bucks cheaper then the Z axis.

flyred06 05-23-2011 09:28 PM

trico

I do not want to hijack this thread. but I am testing a 7wt zaxis at LRO this weekend. I would love to know your opinion on your 7wt. If need be start another post and just label it 7wt zaxis. Thanks

Tyrillius 05-24-2011 08:32 AM

Not a problem on the hijacking, I am kind of interested in a 7wt as well. We can just turn this into the 5wt/6wt/7wt discussion post. I am sure most of us have all read the reviews on the Hardy at Yellowstone Angler and that is what peaked my interest on the new 3M material. Trico, where did you try the Hardy Zenith out around here? LRO doesn't carry them do they?

One more thought, since I seldom fly with my rods (I probably should change that), is there advantage/disadvantage to getting a 2 piece over a 4 piece other than the obvious difficulty in transporting the 2 piece?

Trico 05-24-2011 07:03 PM

In regards to casting the new Hardy I first saw it at a Michigan Fly Fishing Show and cast it in the parking lot. Earlier this month I was at Gates Au Sable Lodge in Michigan and cast one over water. I am going back there the first week in June. I may purchase one or put it on a wish list for my wife to buy! She spoils me! I purchased my 7 wgt Sage Z Axis as a steelhead rod. It has worked out great. I also use it for casting big streamers and heavy flies. Presently I use a Sage XP 9 ft 5 wgt. for much of my trout fishing. I may be in the minority but I do not know if the Z Axis is that much of an improvement. I will say I seem to loose a lot of fish with my XP when using smaller flies. A large part may be my rush to get them in so as not to play them too long. I would not be surprised if I am just putting too much pressure on them. But to answer flyred 06 the Z Axis is a fine rod and I do not mean to come off critical as I do not know what else I would look at in a 7 wgt other then maybe a Loomis Streamdance GXL. Hope this helps. Afdter we go to Gates in June I am planning on coming back to Tenn. for a week or so. I hope to being my drift boat and get in some fishing. If I have the Hardy I will let you know and you would be welcome to look it over and cast it.

In regards to two piece or four piece rods I really like the convenience of the four piece models for storage and travel by any means.

Best, Gary

Tippet 05-26-2011 09:01 PM

I have a sage xp, winston bIIx , and Scott A3 that I fish for Trout. I had a Helios and z-axis that I sold. I just got a Mystic Fly Rod in a 6 weight and it is unbelievable. I was actually going to buy a bank robber, but after casting the 2 side by side, the Mystic was more versatile: Long casts, short casts, and it was very forgiving. It wont win any popularity contests because it is new to the game, but my other trout rods haven't seen water since I got it. I love it, and others I fish with, including some guides are amazed by this rod. It retails for $400. I would recommend looking it up, and it is a USA rod company which I try to stick with.

Trico 05-27-2011 07:56 PM

Tippet I checked Mystic's web site but they did not give much information on their rods. In regards to your six wgt. is it a 9 ft. rod and what does it weigh?

Tippet 05-28-2011 07:24 AM

It is 9'3, I couldn't tell you the weight, but it is comparable to my BIIX. The handle and guides are also comparable. The reel seat is awesome. It sits so well, and tightens great due to they have a small gasket between back nuts so you dont have to torque it at all. I use it on the clinch for bows and browns, and I have you used for smallies on the holston. Very versatile. Not trying to sell for them, but if you were thinking of a $400 dollar rod I wouldnt go with anything else.